HOUSTON – Gallery Furniture gave out thousands of masks Friday, days before it’ll be required to wear one in Harris County.
Mattress Mack stepped up like he’s done so many times in the past.
“We didn’t expect this many people, didn’t expect them to start lining up this morning and 2 a.m.” Mattress Mack.
Now, he’s helping even more during the global pandemic and knows people are stressed and concerned.
“Not only the physical health toll but the mental health toll and I think these masks give you a sense of comfort that maybe we’re protected a little bit more against this virus so we’re giving lots of masks here to lots of great people,” said Mack.
Gallery Furniture employees handed out 15,000-20,000 masks.
On Monday, people must wear one in Harris County. Some people waited for hours.
“I live out in Third Ward, by the UH central campus and we don’t have a lot of masks out there,” said a woman.
The need was so great, Sky 2 captured a backup on the North Freeway and Frontage Road.
People were determined to stop the spread of COVID-19 in Houston.
“It’s mandatory Monday and I think it’s a wise move by the judge and Mack is helping the community out by doing this,” said a man.
Mack said they hope to organize another mask giveaway sometime next week.
Here are other ways they’re helping:
More coronavirus coverage
• Find cases by zip code: Harris County heat map shows coronavirus cases by ZIP code
• Answering your questions: We’ve got answers to dozens and dozens of your health and financial coronavirus questions
• Haley’s Health Inbox: KPRC 2 reporter Haley Hernandez answers questions readers are sending her every day
• Coronavirus charts: Who is getting coronavirus in the Houston area? We’ve crunched the data in these charts
• Follow the curve: This chart shows you the curve for Houston cases since March 15
• When it will peak: This is when each state is expected to peak in deaths from coronavirus
• Support Local: Find all the ways you can help local businesses in Houston