Harris County heat map shows coronavirus cases by ZIP code
HOUSTON – Health officials in Harris County, including the city of Houston, have released a map broken down by ZIP code that shows where coronavirus cases have been reported. However, officials said the map might have an inherent bias.
The map, which was released over the weekend, is a collaboration with Harris County Public Health and the Houston Health Department.
Dr. David Persse, the health authority for Houston, said that while the map is accurate based on the data collected thus far, it could contain a bias in relation to the location of a testing site. He said the farther away from a testing site someone is, the less likely they are to get tested.
Persse also said that results displayed in the heat map can fluctuate from one day to the next as more testing is being done.
“Heat maps are a slice in time,” Persse said.
Persse also stressed that everyone has an equal chance of getting infected with COVID-19, so ZIP codes aren’t really that important.
“It doesn’t matter what neighborhood you live in,” Persse said.
Officials said the map aims to help authorities to better understand where more testing for the virus might be necessary.
The ZIP code map can be found by clicking here.
Officials also released this list of cases by jurisdictions in Harris County. Click here to view it.
More coronavirus coverage
• Find cases by zip code: Harris County heat map shows coronavirus cases by ZIP code
• Answering your questions: We’ve got answers to dozens and dozens of your health and financial coronavirus questions
• Haley’s Health Inbox: KPRC 2 reporter Haley Hernandez answers questions readers are sending her every day
• Coronavirus charts: Who is getting coronavirus in the Houston area? We’ve crunched the data in these charts
• Follow the curve: This chart shows you the curve for Houston cases since March 15
• When it will peak: This is when each state is expected to peak in deaths from coronavirus
• Support Local: Find all the ways you can help local businesses in Houston
Copyright 2020 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.