HOUSTON – Are you curious to know what other Houstonians were reading this year? From audiobooks and e-books to plain old paperbacks, readers checked out a lot of books from the Houston Public Library this year.
We asked the library system what their most popular titles of 2022 were. If you’re ready to get a head start on your reading resolutions but don’t know what book to pick up first, scroll below to see which books were a big hit with Houston bookworms.
MOST CHECKED-OUT: ADULT
- Sparring Partners by John Grisham
- The Maid by Nita Prose
- The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
- Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr
- Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir
MOST CHECKED-OUT: YOUNG ADULT
- Demon Slayer by Koyoharu Gotouge
- Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto
- One Piece by Eiichiro Oda
- Bleach by Tite Kubo
- My Hero Academia by Kōhei Horikoshi
MOST CHECKED-OUT: CHILDREN’S
- Dog Man: Mothering Heights by Dav Pilkey
- Dog Man: For Whom the Ball Rolls by Dav Pilkey
- Baby-sitters Little Sister. Vol 3, Karen’s Worst Day by Katy Farina
- Narwhal and Jelly: Happy Narwhalidays by Ben Clanton
- Plants vs Zombies: Constructionary Tales by Paul Tobin.
TOP AUDIOBOOK OF THE YEAR
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
TOP EBOOK OF THE YEAR
- The Midnight Library: a Novel by Matt Haig
A list of lists: A local look back at 2022
- What did Houston-area residents search for online in 2022? 💻 >> See the city’s top trending Google searches.
- The weirdest headlines from the Houston area in 2022 😶>> It’s been a weird, wild year, y’all! From the strange to the downright disturbing, look back on the Houston area’s most memorable news oddities of the year
- These are anchors, reporters who joined Houston’s home for news in 2022 👋 >> These are the anchors and reporters who joined Houston’s home for news in 2022.
- These are the insanely adorable animals born, acquired by the Houston Zoo in 2022 🐒 >> The beloved Hermann Park institution welcomed a baby monkey and a grown black bear with a chance at a new life.
- These are the Texas stories that captivated the world in 2022 🌎 >> Texas was on the national stage throughout the year. Here are just some of the Texas issues that dominated the headlines, along with what was at stake and what’s to come as we look toward the future of the state and the nation.
- 9 defining moments in Houston sports in 2022 we won’t ever forget ⚾ >> In the world of sports for Houston, 2022 was an incredibly memorable year -- and that’s putting it incredibly lightly.
- 2022 KPRC 2 Investigates stories you don’t want to miss >> Take a look at some of the biggest stories KPRC 2 Investigates shared in 2022, from our in-depth report into the Astroworld Festival tragedy to our series on paper license plates.
- These stories offer a glimpse into trauma, loss experienced in Houston area in 2022 >> Here, we take a look back at some of the most heinous Houston-area crimes that have come out of this particular calendar year, the deadly acts of violence too horrendous to comprehend, crimes so shocking they left seasoned investigators speechless.
Bibliophiles, what are the best books you read this year? 📖 Whether they’re new or new to you, fiction or nonfiction, tough classic from the canon or graphic novels, which titles left a lasting impression? Drop your recommendations in the comments.