Mother of Maliyah Bass pleads guilty for role in 2-year-old’s death

Mother, boyfriend put 2-year-old Maliyah Bass' body in storm drain after killing her, court documents say

HOUSTON – The mother of Maliyah Bass, the 2-year-old whose body was found floating in Brays Bayou, has pleaded guilty for her involvement in her daughter’s death.

Sahara Ervin, who was photographed smiling in her mugshot when arrested more than a year ago, appeared before a judge Wednesday. The young mother pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence - a human corpse and injury to a child, according to court records.

According to court documents, as part of her plea agreement, Ervin will now testify against her boyfriend, Travion Thompson, for the role he played in the toddler’s death. If she follows through with the agreement, she will face up to 20 years in prison. If not, Ervin could face a life sentence.

Maliyah Bass (HPD)

On Aug. 22, 2020, Ervin and Thompson told police that the mother left Maliyah alone for five minutes at the playground at their southwest Houston apartment while she was cooking. The couple claimed when they went to get her, she was nowhere to be found and reported her as kidnapped.

Houston activist Quanell X met with Ervin and Thompson shortly after the child’s disappearance and said the couple’s story left him with a lot of questions.

READ: HPD believes foul play was involved in the child’s death

Quanell X said he was concerned with the living conditions he saw inside the home of little Maliyah, saying that they were very rough for a child. Even though he helped with another highly publicized case, helping to bring the body of 4-year-old Maleah Davis home, he declined to represent the family of the 2-year-old victim as things didn’t add up.

“Who kidnapped the child? Was she ever kidnapped? We don’t know yet but it doesn’t pass the smell test,” he said at the time. “No responsible parent would leave their child on the playground like that for five minutes knowing it’s a high crime area and shut the door behind them.”

“It was just a bunch of lies. That’s it, a bunch of lies,” said Thompson’s mother, Angel Harris.

Sadly, they both were correct.

Court documents state the couple killed Maliyah and put her body in a storm drain, where it floated into Brays Bayou and was discovered by a citizen.

READ: Family says body found in Brays Bayou belonged to 2-year-old Maliyah Bass

The little girl’s remains were positively identified other family members, leaving their worst fears realized.

According to court records, Thompson also has a new charge for assault to a public servant, filed on March 5, 2021. He is due in court on Jan. 11 for disposition.

About the Author:

Mother of two. Award-winning lover of digital storytelling, sparked by my fascination of being a fashionable gossip like my favorite "Willona Woods" character from "Good Times." On the serious side, president of the Houston Association of Black Journalists and dedicated community servant. Happy to share the news with you each and every day!