73ºF

Houston teen dies from brain-eating amoeba


HOUSTON – A brain-eating amoeba, sometimes found in fresh, warm bodies of water, is believed to be what tragically claimed the life of a Houston teenager.

Hudson Adams had just graduated from high school and was working as a lifeguard at the Frontier Christian Camp, about two hours north of Houston.

The director of the camp said Hudson started feeling sick over the weekend, with flu-like symptoms. He was transferred to a local hospital on Monday, then flown to Memorial Hermann in the Medical Center, where he was put on life support.

Hudson died Wednesday evening. On social media, friends are calling him humble, kind, goofy and someone who was taken way too soon.

"We've heard he's a great kid. He was a camper there and now a counselor. You feel so sorry for him and his family," Brian Sasser said.

His two sons, ages 11 and 8, are at Frontier Camp this week.

Parents received an email from the camp Wednesday detailing the situation with Hudson. The email read in part, "Both lakes on the property have been closed as a precaution.  Swimming and water sport activities have been shut down." 

"It's a huge part of the camp, but you can understand until they have all the information, they need to shut that down," Sasser said.

"First reaction is, 'Oh my gosh. What is this? What's going on?'" James Andreatos said.

His 10-year-old son is also at the camp. He and Sasser said they are comfortable with the way camp staff is handling the terrible situation. 

"Because the camp has done such a good job of taking all the proper precautions, we made the decision to leave him there and we are comfortable with that," Andreatos.

This is the second case of a brain-eating amoeba in the Houston area in the last year.

Last August, 14-year-old Michael Riley contracted a deadly amoeba after jumping into a lake in the Sam Houston National Forest.