Houston teen dies from brain-eating amoeba

HOUSTON – A brain-eating amoeba, sometimes found in fresh, warm bodies of water, is believed to be what tragically claimed the life of a Houston teenager.

Hudson Adams had just graduated from high school and was working as a lifeguard at the Frontier Christian Camp, about two hours north of Houston.

The director of the camp said Hudson started feeling sick over the weekend, with flu-like symptoms. He was transferred to a local hospital on Monday, then flown to Memorial Hermann in the Medical Center, where he was put on life support.

Hudson died Wednesday evening. On social media, friends are calling him humble, kind, goofy and someone who was taken way too soon.

"We've heard he's a great kid. He was a camper there and now a counselor. You feel so sorry for him and his family," Brian Sasser said.

His two sons, ages 11 and 8, are at Frontier Camp this week.

Parents received an email from the camp Wednesday detailing the situation with Hudson. The email read in part, "Both lakes on the property have been closed as a precaution.  Swimming and water sport activities have been shut down." 

"It's a huge part of the camp, but you can understand until they have all the information, they need to shut that down," Sasser said.