TODD MISSION, Texas – A fire that broke out at the Texas Renaissance Festival grounds in Grimes County Monday night will not impact this weekend’s final events, a spokesperson said.
In a news release, Texas Renaissance Festival Marketing Director Cory Brock said the incident would not impact the Celtic Christmas festivities.
“... We are looking forward to festivalgoers experiencing the magic of the festival’s interactive experiences and attractions before the Kingdom gates close,” Brock said. “We will have an update regarding availability of food within the ‘Kingdom of Tuscany’ by Friday, Nov. 26 when we open.”
A sheriff with Grimes County Sheriff’s Office said they received a call around 11:35 p.m. about the fire.
According to GCSO, the Plantersville, Todd Mission and Magnolia fire departments were called to the scene. Deputies said they got to the scene in 15 minutes and officials were quickly about to contain the fire.
The blaze stemmed from a kitchen fire in the “Kingdom of Tuscany” (formerly known as the Italian Village), Brock said. Officials said the buildings are positioned to where if one caught fire, it could easily spread to others since they are close together, investigators said.
At this time, Brock says they suspect an electric transformer blew and caused a fire in the area, which was exacerbated by a propane tank nearby.
The 47th annual Texas Renaissance Festival season will conclude with a three-day Celtic Christmas celebration this Friday, Nov. 26 – Sunday, Nov. 28 from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. For more information regarding the festival’s daily enchantment, please visit www.texrenfest.com.
“It’s business as usual here at the Texas Renaissance Festival this weekend and Celtic Christmas will go on, the audience will not even notice that it happened,” General manager Jeffrey Baldwin said.