HOUSTON – The Houston Independent School District will offer labs in August and September to help parents of special needs students learn how to navigate virtual learning for the 2020-21 school year.
The district will offer 20 sessions to parents that will be available by disability area or special population group. Parents will be able to experience these labs live or in a recorded format. The labs are designed to help parents with programs like autism, dyslexia, speech/language, 504, intellectually disabled and gifted and talented. Sessions will also be available in Spanish.
“As we embark on a school year like no other, we know that extra supports for parents and students are vital as we navigate a more virtual approach to learning,” said HISD Interim Superintendent Grenita Lathan. “These live interactive sessions are designed to inform, engage and empower our HISD parent community for the coming school year.”
Course sessions will begin on Aug. 26-27 and Sept. 2-3 at 4 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m.
To view the program’s full schedule and link to each course, click here.
Here are the following samples of course offerings:
- 504 Accommodations Overview
- Identification/Eval/Eligibility/Services (Child Find)
- Overview of the TX Dyslexia Handbook (Spanish course)
- 5 IEP Look Fors
- New to HISD/Newly Identified for Services
- Speech Impairment
- Autism Home Front: Visual Scheduling
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing/Visual Impairment
- Autism Home Front: Setting Spaces for Success
- Dyslexia and Executive Function (Spanish course)
- Overview of Dyslexia Handbook
- Strategies: Anxiety/Depression (SEL)
- Dyslexia Simulation (Spanish course)
- Role of HISD Parent Liaison
- Parent Portal for Easy IEP
- Dyslexia and Executive Function
- Home Front: Setting Spaces for Success
- The Gifted Education Plan (Elementary)
- The Gifted Education Plan (Secondary)
For more information, click here.