Quick action from neighbors alerts women to flee burning house
HOUSTON – Neighbors in northeast Houston who awoke to see flames and smoke from across the street helped people who were still inside.
The fire broke out around 5:30 a.m. Saturday morning in a house in the 11200 block of Spottswood Court. Two women were inside a house sleeping.
Neighbor Quin Williams said she and her daughters quickly headed over to alert the people inside the house to get out.
"We ran across the street and started beating on the door. They were delirious, like, they were still in there completely asleep, because the fire was upstairs in the attic," Williams said.
Williams said two women inside did leave, but one of them was badly affected by smoke inhalation.
The Houston Fire Department responded, and that woman was taken to the hospital.
District Fire Chief Eric Hutzley said the fire was isolated to the attic.
The fire department said the cause of the fire was accidental and electrical.
While the fire was contained to the attic, the roof did collapse, according to the fire department.
A GoFundMe account has been made to help the homeowner rebuild.
Copyright 2018 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.