Everything you need to know about flood insurance coverage
Here’s all you need to know about flood insurance coverage as the season begins.
Building Property coverage:
- The insured building & its foundation.
- The electrical & plumbing systems.
- Central air-conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters.
- Refrigerators, cooking stoves, and built-in appliances such as dishwashers.
- Permanently installed carpeting over an unfinished floor.
- Permanently installed paneling, wallboard, bookcases, and cabinets.
- Window blinds.
- A detached garage (up to 10 % of Building Property coverage); detached buildings (other than detached garages) require a separate Building Property policy.
- Debris removal.
Personal Property coverage:
- Personal belongings such as clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment.
- Portable and window air conditioners.
- Portable microwave ovens and portable dishwashers.
- Carpets not included in building coverage.
- Clothes washers and dryers.
- Food freezers and the food in them.
- Certain valuable items such as original artwork and furs (up to $2,500)
NOT insured under either policy:
- Damage caused by moisture, mildew, or mold that could have been avoided by the property owner.
- Currency, precious metals, & valuable papers such as stock certificates.
- Property and belongings outside of a building such as trees, plants, wells, septic systems, walks, decks, patios, fences, sea walls, hot tubs, and swimming pools.
- Living expenses such as temporary housing.
- Financial losses caused by business interruption or loss of use of insured property.
- Most self-propelled vehicles such as cars, including their parts (see Section IV.5 in your policy).
Copyright 2020 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.