72ºF

Astros SS Carlos Correa takes part in on-field baseball activities

HOUSTON – Astros shortstop Carlos Correa has been on the disabled list since July 18, after injuring his thumb and undergoing surgery.

On Wednesday, there was some good news for the team as Correa was working out on the field, taking ground balls, throws from the catcher and turning double plays.

Correa said there was no stiffness or discomfort at all during his field workout.

“I’m doing everything I do in a regular practice, I’m not hitting BP (batting practice) yet, but we’re progressing towards that. Everything has turned out great so far so I’m really happy with the outcome,” Correa said.

Correa said team doctors and trainers want to avoid any setbacks in his return, so while he wants to stay aggressive in his rehab, they are not rushing the process.

WATCH: Carlos Correa injury update Aug. 16, 2017

“So far, I’ve been feeling great, so, I feel we can push a little more, but be careful about it, be smart about it. But, I’ve been feeling really good,” Correa said.

The original hope was Correa would rejoin the team in time for the playoffs, but just four weeks post-surgery, Correa said he feels ahead of schedule.

Download the Click2Houston news app in your app store to stay up-to-date with the latest news while you're on the go.

Sign up for KPRC 2 newsletters to get breaking news, sports, entertainment, contests and more delivered straight to your email inbox.