Personal trainer dies from accidental caffeine overdose equating 200 cups of coffee, reports say

As seen on SA Live (Pixabay)

A personal trainer in the U.K. has died due to an accidental overdose on caffeine powder that was as strong as 200 cups of coffee, BBC News reports.

According to the report, Thomas Mansfield purchased a 100-gram packet of caffeine powder from the supplement company, Blackburn Distributions, to make drinks at home.

The personal trainer was using a digital scale to measure out a recommended dose of 60-300 milligrams; however he miscalculated the dosage, BBC reports.

Shortly after consuming the drink, Mansfield was complaining of a rapid heartbeat and clutched his chest.

According to BBC, Mansfield began foaming at the mouth when he went to lie down.

His wife called for an ambulance and he was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead.

According to BBC, a medical examiner revealed that Mansfield died from caffeine toxicity and had 392 milligrams of caffeine per liter of blood at the time of his death.


About the Author: