MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Texas – A teen is fighting for his life after he was electrocuted while trying to hang a business banner in Montgomery County.
The incident happened around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in front of Maria’s Appliances on FM 1485 near Dry Creek.
According to family members, 17-year-old Logan Dillard lives in a mobile home with his grandmother on the same property as the business.
The family said the banner had fallen and Dillard had been trying to reset it when the accident happened.
According to police, the wet banner that is attached to a metal pole hit the overhead 33000-volt powerlines that run to a transformer on the property. Dillard suffered a severe shock and was unconscious when paramedics arrived, according to authorities.
Emergency responders performed CPR and after nearly 20 minutes, they were able to revive Dillard, officials said. He was rushed to Kingwood Hospital in critical condition.
Family members said Dillard was transferred to Texas Children’s Hospital, where he is in a medically induced coma. However, family members said Dillard’s brain activity is normal and his heart looks good.
Dillard is a student at Caney Creek High School and does not work at the business, family members said.
Experts say to stay at least 10 feet away from power lines and at least 35 feet away from downed power lines. They also said you should never touch something that is in contact with a power line and to always assume power lines are live and dangerous.