Alvin ISD has postponed the start of its school year.
All students will now begin school on August 24 participating in virtual instruction.
The district is now planning for a phased reopening of its schools and will transition groups of students to face-to-face over a two week period beginning on August 31.
Here’s what to know for the upcoming school year:
The first day of school has been postponed to August 24, 2020.
On August 31, students will begin a phased reintroduction to on-campus learning.
Click here to view the 2020-2021 school calendar.
Measures underway or being considered
Student Health Protocols
- All students should do a daily self evaluation prior to coming to school or boarding school transportation.
- All students will be instructed on methods to protect themselves and others from COVID-19 at school.
- All students should practice appropriate social distancing, hand hygiene, and respiratory etiquette.
- All students should regularly wash their hands when reporting to school and after using the restroom.
- All students will be trained on proper handwashing techniques and participate in scheduled hand-washing times throughout the day.
- All students should maintain 6 feet distancing from others. If this is not possible, face covering should be used.
- All students (age-appropriate) are encouraged to use non-medical grade face masks, covering nose and mouth, while in indoor common spaces.
Employee Health Protocols
- All Alvin ISD employees will be required to complete a self screening daily.
- All employees shall know, understand and practice methods to protect themselves and others form COVID-19 at work.
- All employees must practice appropriate cleaning and disinfection, hand hygiene, and respiratory etiquette.
- All employees shall regularly wash their hands when reporting to work and after using the restroom.
- All employees shall maintain 6 feet distancing from others. If this is not possible, face covering must be used.
- All employees shall use non-medical grade face masks, covering nose and mouth, while in indoor common spaces.
- Employees who return to work after exhibiting fever shall have their temperature taken at work; for three consecutive days.
Arrival, Dismissal, and transitioning
- Multiple entries and exit points will be established.
- Campuses will implement staggered release procedures.
- The transitioning of students will be limited during the school day.
- All Alvin ISD campuses will operate on a schedule to limit students transitioning during the instructional day.
- Students in grades PK-2 will be self-contained with one teacher.
- Students in grades 3-5 will have a maximum of two content teachers. Whenever possible, teachers will rotate into the classrooms to limit student transitions.
- Students in grades 6-8 (junior high) and 9-12 (high school) will have a campus schedule designed to limit student transitioning during the school day.
- Only students eating school breakfast will be allowed in the cafeteria seating area in the mornings.
- Students will be seated with at least 6-feet spacing.
- Students will utilize the cafeteria for lunch on a limited basis.
- When reporting to the cafeteria for lunch, students will be released on a staggered schedule.
- Lunches will be “Grab and Go.”
- Students may eat in various locations throughout the building to maximize social distancing.
- Students will be required to pre-register for bus transportation by July 24 in order to ensure transportation services.
- Bus seating will be assigned.
- All students will use hand sanitizer upon boarding the bus.
- Students will be seated with as much separation as feasible without disrupting the educational experience.
- For age and developmentally appropriate students, use of masks in classroom settings will be encouraged.
Health and hygiene Practices
- Hand sanitizer stations will be at the entrances of each campus.
- Campuses will be cleaned throughout the instructional day.
- Custodial staffing will be realigned to allow for ongoing cleaning of touch surfaces during the instructional day.
- Face coverings will be required in common areas for all Alvin ISD staff.
- Face coverings will be encouraged for students (age-appropriate) in common areas.
- Any individuals coming to campus during the instructional day will be required to wear a face covering for building access.
Extra-Curricular and Non-Academic Activities
- Athletics and extracurricular activities will be conducted in alignment with UIL guidelines.
- Non-UIL activities will follow the same COVID-19 related guidelines as UIL activities.
- No indoor pep rallies during the Fall semester. Outdoor pep rallies or gatherings must be in compliance with state social distancing guidelines.
- Any student social activities (i.e. dances, celebrations) must be conducted in open air venues, or limited to less than 50 participants.
- Until further notice, the use of field trips will be postponed.
- Until further notice, there will be no large student assemblies.
Visitors and deliveries
- To limit exposure, informal campus visits will be restricted, including during meal time.
- To ensure the safety of students and staff, no outside food deliveries will be accepted (i.e. food, gifts, doordash, etc.)
- In the event an individual visits a campus, they must pass a screener with temperature monitoring to access a school campus. For more guidelines and restrictions, visit alvinisd.net/forward2020.
Instruction methods offered
This scenario will include a blended instructional platform that involves in-person instruction as well as the use of Google Classroom (district-wide) for specific instructional areas. This will ensure that students are familiar with the virtual platform in the event we have to quickly switch to an all-virtual setting.
Alvin Virtual Learning will be offered through remote synchronous and asynchronous instruction formats.
Alvin Virtual Learning Sample Schedule:
All students will begin the school year on August 24 participating in virtual instruction
Between August 31 and September 14, students who have selected in-person instruction will begin a phased reintroduction to on-campus learning.
Virtual students will continue their online instruction during this phase.
The deadline for families to select either in-person instruction or Alvin Virtual Learning has been extended to August 7.
For more information, visit alvinisd.net/forward2020.
Do you have questions about Alvin ISD’s plan?
Fill out the form below and we’ll work to find the answer to your question.