HOUSTON – Houston-area school districts, universities, businesses and other offices are closed Friday after a major water main break in east Houston.
See the closures so far:
- Houston Independent School District has closed all schools and offices Friday due to the water main break “that has caused widespread water service disruption and impacted multiple areas of the city,” the district wrote. Schools and offices will be reopened Monday. The makeup day will be on Monday, June 1. All after-school activities were canceled Thursday as a result of the water main break impacting a major part of the city.
- Fort Bend ISD will close seven campuses Friday. The closures are Willowridge High School, McAuliffe Middle School, Ridgemont Elementary, Early Literacy Center at Ridgemont, Briargate Elementary, Ridgegate Elementary and Blue Ridge Elementary. No morning or after school care will be provided at the campuses listed above. Teachers and staff assigned to these campuses will report to alternate locations.
- Aldine ISD schools & offices are closed Friday, due to a major water main break in the Houston area. To ensure the safety of students & staff, maintenance teams will inspect all impacted facilities to ensure schools are clear to reopen Monday. All weekend activities and events have also been canceled in Aldine ISD.
- Humble ISD will close 13 schools to students only Friday. Staff members are requested to report. The Humble ISD closures are Summer Creek High School, Humble Middle School Woodcreek Middle School, Westlake Middle School, Atascocita Springs Elementary School, Eagle Springs Elementary School, Fall Creek Elementary School, Groves Elementary School, Lakeshore Elementary School, North Belt Elementary School, Park Lakes Elementary School, Ridge Creek Elementary School and Whispering Pines Elementary. All Humble ISD Transportation Staff should report to work at the regular time.
- Alief ISD schools and offices will be closed Friday.
- Galena Park ISD schools and offices will be closed Friday.
- Channelview Independent School District campuses and offices will be closed Friday.
- Sheldon ISD campuses, district offices are closed Friday. This includes all after-school activities.
- Pasadena ISD will be closed Friday.
- KIPP Texas Houston schools and offices will be closed Friday.
- Arrow Academy Charter School will close all of the Houston area campuses on Friday.
- Resurrection Catholic School will be closed Friday.
- Memorial Lutheran School will be closed Friday.
- St. Anne Catholic School will be closed Friday.
- Yellowstone Academy and Yellowstone College Prep will be closed Friday.
- Spring Branch ISD will be closed Friday.
- Cristo Rey Jesuit College Prep High School will be closed Friday.
- Yorkshire Academy will be closed Friday.
- The University of Houston will close all campuses except Sugar Land and Katy closed Friday.
- The University of Houston Downtown has closed for the rest of the day, the school wrote in an alert to students. UHD Northwest campus remains open.
- Texas Southern University will operate on a delayed 10 a.m. start for classes and all offices on Friday, the university said in a statement. The university will assess the situation early Friday morning and announce any adjustments, if necessary. TSU is also providing bottled water for students living in campus housing.
- Houston Community College will keep several campuses and offices closed Friday, according to a tweet. Closures include HCC Eastside Campus, HCC Northeast Campus, HCC Northline Campus, HCC District Office, HCC Coleman College, HCC Felix Fraga Academic Campus and HCC Central Campus. HCC Gulfton Campus and HCC West Loop Campus will reopen Friday.
- The University of St. Thomas closed Thursday afternoon and will remain closed Friday, the school announced in a press release.