Officials: Babysitter may face charges after leaving children who started motel fire unattended
HOUSTON – Seven people, including at least two children, were hurt in a three-alarm fire at a motel near Spring on Wednesday evening.
The fire at a Motel 6 at 19606 Cypresswood Court was first reported at 3:40 p.m. Flames poured out of the third floor where the fire started and quickly ate away at the roof of the building.
Officials later said a 3-year-old and 6-year-old started the fire while playing with a lighter.
The children's mother left the children under the care of a babysitter, who left the children unattended, according to authorities.
The babysitter could face charges.
Seven people were taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries or smoke inhalation, according to Norm Uhl with Cypress Creek Emergency Medical Service.
Copyright 2019 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.