HOUSTON – One tank of gas can take you from Houston to some pretty amazing places. Our ongoing series “One Tank Trips,” helps you discover what to do, where to eat and stay in these places.
Distance from downtown Houston: 75 miles
Only around an hour and 15 minutes from downtown Houston is the quaint town of Brenham. Located between Houston and Austin, the town is most famously known as the home of Blue Bell ice cream and a great spot to see bluebonnets. Brenham has a myriad of other historic spots and restaurants that make it worth visiting for a day trip or pit stop on the way to Austin.
Things to do
- Blue Bell Creameries: Every Monday-Saturday, Blue Bell lovers can visit the creamery. The local ice cream has been a Brenham staple since its opening in 1907. Creamery visitors can learn about the ice cream making process at the observation deck, stop in the visitors center, shop in the country store and of course get some of the famous ice cream at the ice cream parlor.
- Washington County: Although spring is the best time to visit Washington County due to bluebonnet season, the county has an abundance of other wildflowers. The Bluebonnet Trail has 80 miles of wildflowers and picturesque roads.
- Pleasant Hill Winery: Pleasant Hill Winery offers Brenham’s premiere winery experience. On July 20, 21, 27 and 28 along with Aug. 3, 4, 10 and 11, its Pleasant Hill’s 18th Annual Crush for Fun is held. The event allows families to crush the wine grapes with their own feet, helping create some of their own wine.
- The Antique Rose Emporium: This shop is renowned for its 8 acres of award-winning display gardens. It is a gardener's dream with its beautiful grounds and large variety of roses.
- Brazos Valley Brewery: This independent craft brewery offers premier beers along with a family friendly environment and music. Relax outside with a beer on the patio any time between Thursday through Sunday. Brewery tours are available by request, as well
- Peeka Ranch Alpacas: Located 15 miles outside Brenham, this alpaca farm boasts 100 alpacas and 60 acres of land. Go out to the ranch to visit the alpacas and shop at the gift shop complete with alpaca wool products.
- Antiquing: There are a variety of antique shops in Brenham. Some of the best: Leftovers Antiques Destination, Chappell Hill Antiques Mall, Today & Yesterday, Hermann’s Furniture, JR’s Antiques, Bluebird Off the Square, Country Store Antiques and Lone Star Gallery among others.