HOUSTON – Professor Christian Eberhart, Ph.D., is the director of religious studies at the University of Houston.
Elberhart said after the recent killings in Las Vegas, the presence of God, faith and religion have been a hot topics.
“There’s a big silence. There’s anger and there is just an inability to comprehend, to understand what is going on,” he said. “On the other hand, that is actually where religion kicks in.”
Eberhart talked about how faith communities support each other during times like this, the role the Bible played in establishing the laws of the land and much more during this week’s Houston Newsmakers with Khambrel Marshall.
About 40,000 women are expected to die from breast cancer this year. Dr. Melissa Joyner and Dr. Daisha Hayden are working to change that.
Joyner is Director of Radiation Oncology at St. Joseph Medical Center, and Hayden is a radiologist; both will be speaking at the 2nd Annual “Pink Power” Luncheon at the Medical Center on Oct. 13.
Attendees can expect plenty of straightforward advice.
”The 40-50 age group has been quite the spotlight for the areas of controversy,” Hayden said. “A lot of people aren’t recommending women 40-50 to get mammograms, however ,one in six breast cancers are diagnosed in women in their 40s.”
Much more from both doctors on this week’s Houston Newsmakers.
Galveston Bay has taken a hit from fresh water to floodwaters from Hurricane Harvey. Bob Stokes, president of the Galveston Bay Foundation and Lisa Gonzalez, president & CEO of the Houston Advance Research Center, are guests this week to talk about the adverse effects and what all of us need to know to preserve the tremendous economic benefits of Galveston Bay.
Houston Newsmakers, Sundays at 10:30 a.m.
• Christian Eberhart, Ph.D., director UH Religious Studies, 713-743-3987, http://www.uh.edu/class/ccs/rels/
• Melissa Joyner, M.D., director Radiation Oncology, St. Joseph Medical Center 713-757-1000, Pink Power Luncheon (713)756-5051, https://sjmctx.org/ Twitter: @sjmctx
• Daisha Hayden, M.D. board certified radiologist, St Joseph Medical Center 713-757-1000, https://sjmctx.org/ Twitter: @sjmctx
• Lisa Gonzalez, president & CEO, Houston Advanced Research Center, 281-364-6000b, https://sjmctx.org/ Twitter: @HARCreasearch
• Bob Stokes, president, Galveston Bay Foundation, 281-332-3381, www.galvbay.org Twitter: @GBayFoundation