7 students taken to ER after taking insulin pills at elementary school
SPLENDORA, Texas – Several kindergarten students became ill after taking pills at a Splendora elementary school on Thursday, according to the superintendent of the school, Jeffery Burke.
A child brought time-released diabetic insulin medication to Peach Creek Elementary where the students took the pills, Burke said.
The drug was identified by a parent as Glimepiride, a time-released diabetic insulin medication commonly prescribed for type 2 diabetes patients.
School officials said a teacher overheard the kids talking about the pills while they were in line for breakfast around 8:45 a.m.
The students did not become ill at the school, but the school nurse immediately began treating them while parents and poison control was contacted.
The children were taken to a nearby emergency room by their parents.
Joshua Aumiller's 6-year-old daughter, Jacqueline, took two of the pills and was taken to the emergency room.
"I’m still a little nervous about her coming home, but her blood sugar is starting to come back up so it’s looking good, and (the) doctor advised us as long as we keep her eating to keep her blood sugar up we should be OK," Aumiller said.
Jacqueline was cleared to go home around 4 p.m.
Here is a statement from Splendora Independent School District:
"Parents, today an incident occurred on one of our elementary campuses where a student brought prescription medication from home and distributed it to several classmates. This incident was isolated and all students affected are being monitored by medical professionals. We commend the elementary staff for responding so quickly to identify the students affected and for contacting their parents. The safety of our students is our top priority and we ask for your help in speaking with your child about the dangers of taking any unknown substance. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this situation."
Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.