New program enlists parents to keep Houston students safe
Program started after stabbing death of 11-year-old boy
HOUSTON – A program that launched Monday enlists parents and volunteers to keep students walking to and from school safe.
The Northside Mothers Group started "Safe Walk Home" after the fatal stabbing of 11-year-old Josue Flores earlier this year. Police said they believe Josue was being robbed by his attacker.
Members of the group hit the streets in their neighborhood Monday, keeping a watchful eye on children.
Many parents said they think the program is a good idea.
"It's very different from last year," said Xochitl Tellez, who was walking her children to school. "We've lived around this community for years, but it's very different. You usually don't see volunteers out, but I think it's a lot safer for our kids. So it makes them a little more comfortable."
Already 100 strong, the group also spent the morning encouraging others to sign up and volunteer.