CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – The United States Coast Guard medevaced a captain suffering carbon monoxide poisoning from a fishing boat with an internal water leak Sunday night.
The captain called the Coast Guard around 10:50 p.m. from the 89-foot boat, Redemption, reporting that they were taking on water from a damaged onboard potable water tank.
Crews responded to the boat, which was about 6 miles off Port Aransas inlet, and dropped a dewatering pump to the boat.
The Coast Guard said that during the dewatering, the captain began showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. He was hoisted to a helicopter and taken to Spohn Shoreline Hospital in stable condition.
“This was a phenomenal team effort by all involved,” Capt. Tony Hahn, the Corpus Christi sector commander, said. "Our crews train extremely hard to handle these complex and dangerous missions. Their commitment to proficiency, professionalism and serving others is remarkable.”
All other people aboard the boat were able to disembark safely at the pier, the Coast Guard said.