Fort Bend and other school districts offer free take-home meals during school closure
HOUSTON – Over 30 school districts across the Houston area announced that campuses will be closed due to the growing risk of coronavirus spreading throughout communities.
Many children depend on school meals as their food for the day and missing out could mean going without food.
In an effort to help students and families during the closures, several school districts are offering free curbside meals.
Santa Fe ISD
Santa Fe ISD and Nutrition Services Department will be providing meals for all SFISD students who qualify for the federal meal program beginning Monday, March 16. Nutrition Services staff will have the meals set up in the drop-off/pickup area behind Barnett Elementary at 11818 FM 1764.
A packaged lunch and a breakfast meal for the next morning will be available for each student. Parents and students may drive-thru and pick up the meals beginning March 16 through the 20 from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
Enter Barnett Elementary from 1764 and drive to the rear of the building using the car rider drop off and pick up designated lanes. Questions regarding meal pickup can be emailed to Michelle Skiles, Nutrition Services Supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Goose Creek Consolidated ISD
The district will offer grab-and-go breakfast and lunch for all children 18 and under on weekdays, starting Monday, March 16. Breakfast will also be served starting March 17. Breakfast will be served from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. and lunch will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Children 18 and under may go to one of the following locations to pick up food at one of the following locations:
Monday through Friday
Bañuelos Elementary, 7770 Eastpoint Blvd.
Bowie Elementary, 2200 Clayton Drive
Carver Elementary, 600 S. Pruett St.
Highlands Elementary, 200 E. Wallisville
William B. Travis Elementary, 100 Robin Road
San Jacinto Elementary, 2615 Virginia
Gentry Junior High School, 1919 E. Archer Road
Horace Mann Junior High School, 310 S. Hwy 146
Goose Creek Memorial High School, 6001 E. Wallisville
Robert E. Lee High School, 1809 Market
Sterling High School, 300 W. Baker Road
Through the Child Nutrition Department, the district is offering curbside meals to all their students 18 and under. As a reminder to SMSD parents and the community, SMSD will continue food services, although on a modified schedule. Starting Monday, March 16. The district will serve breakfast from 8 a.m to 9 a.m., lunch from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and dinner from 3 p.m to 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday
- Stafford Elementary School, 1250 Constitution Avenue - car rider line
- Stafford Intermediate School, 1350 Constitution Avenue - bus rider line
Please note: Children must be present to receive meals. Should you have any questions regarding Child Nutrition Services, please do not hesitate to contact Child Nutrition at (281) 261-9289.
Monday through Friday (daily)
- Milby High School, 1601 Broadway St., 9 a.m. - noon
- Wisdom High School, 6529 Beverly Hill St., 9 a.m. - noon
- Kashmere High School, 6900 Wileyvale Road, 1 - 4 p.m.
- Madison High School, 13719 White Heather Drive, 1 - 4 p.m.
- Northside High School, 1101 Quitman St., 3 - 6 p.m.
Fort Bend ISD
Fort Bend ISD is offering grab-and-go meals at no cost to anyone 18 and under and to students with disabilities without regard to age, starting Monday. Meals are available at 11 campuses from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Children do not need to be enrolled in Fort Bend ISD to get free breakfast and lunch, but all children will need to be present in order to pick up the meals.
List of campuses:
- Travis High School (11111 Harlem Rd, Richmond, TX 77406)
- Hodges Bend Middle School (16510 Bissonnet St, Houston, TX 77083)
- Kempner High School (14777 Voss Rd, Sugar Land, TX 77498)
- Sartartia Middle School (8125 Homeward Way, Sugar Land, TX 77479)
- First Colony Middle School (3225 Austin Pkwy, Sugar Land, TX 77479)
- Dulles High School (550 Dulles Ave, Sugar Land, TX 77478)
- Missouri City Middle School (202 Martin Ln, Missouri City, TX 77489)
- Elkins High School (7007 Knights Ct, Missouri City, TX 77459)
- Ridge Point High School (500 Waters Lake Blvd, Missouri City, TX 77459)
- McAuliffe Middle School (16650 S Post Oak Rd, Houston, TX 77053)
- Hightower High School (3333 Hurricane Ln, Missouri City, TX 77459)
Cypress Fairbanks ISD
Cypress Fairbanks ISD is offering curbside meals beginning Monday. Children, 18 years and younger, must be present and may pick up meals at any CFISD school listed. This is not dependent on where the student is enrolled.
Breakfast will be available from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. Lunch will be available from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Dinner will be available from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Schools available for curbside meals:
- Arnold Middle School
- Bane Elementary School
- Cy Creek High School
- Cy Lakes High School
- Cy Park High School
- Cy Ridge High School
- Cy Springs High School
- Danish Elementary School
- Francone Elementary School
- Frazier Elementary School
- Holbrook Elementary School
- Horne Elementary School
- Kirk Elementary School
- Langham Creek High School
- Thornton Middle School
- Goodson MS will be added to the original list of schools.
According to the district, families can pick up take-home meals for the week of March 16 through March 20. Families will be able to stop by select schools between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. to pick up their meals.
The district has not yet specified which schools but said there will be more information coming over the next few days. You can get more information on their social media sites or at Springisd.org/coronavirus.
The district said it will be offering curbside meals to all Klein ISD students. Families can stop by Klein Intermediate, Wunderlich Intermediate, Mittelstadt Elementary and Schultz Elementary between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Monday, March 16 and Tuesday, March 17 to pick up their meals.
According to the district, they will be able to pick up enough free meals to cover the entire week for anyone 18 and under in their household. There is no age limit for children with disabilities.
The district said families that picked up food Monday are covered for the week and do not need to return Tuesday. KISD is planning to provide meals in some manner next week. They will be providing updates as needed.
La Porte ISD
La Porte ISD is offering free ‘grab & go’ breakfast and lunch during the week of March 16. All children who are 18 years and younger can enjoy the meals at no cost.
The packaged meals will be handed out drive-thru style near the gymnasium at James H. Baker Sixth Grade Campus. Patrons are asked to enter the campus from Underwood and proceed through the car lines, where they will receive their meals.
- Because of state regulations, the district can only provide meals to children who are present in the vehicle.
- In the interest of everyone’s health and safety, and staying with CDC recommendations, no one — other than La Porte ISD Nutrition Dept. employees — will be permitted to gather or eat on the premises.
Where: James H. Baker Sixth Grade Campus
Times: 7:30 - 9 a.m. (breakfast)
11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (lunch)
The DISD Food & Nutrition Services Department announced it will be providing meals for al;l student from March 16 through March 20. Parents or students can pick up packed breakfasts and lunches at Dickinson High School from 11 a.m. to noon.
According to the district, the drive-thru will be set up in the parking area on Owens Drive. Resource officers for the school will be providing traffic directions in the area during the pick-up time.
Katy ISD will begin their free grab-n-go lunch service for all children 18 and under Monday. Pull up curbside near the covered bus pick up/drop off walkway at the following locations.
Children do not need to be enrolled in Katy ISD.
What: Free breakfast and hot lunch
When: Monday through Friday, 9-11:30 a.m.
- Bear Creek Elementary: 4815 Hickory Downs Dr, Houston, TX 77084
- Golbow Elementary: 3535 Lakes of Bridgewater Dr, Katy, TX 77449
- Hutsell Elementary: 5360 Franz Rd, Katy, TX 77493
- Mayde Creek Elementary: 2698 Greenhouse Rd, Houston, TX 77084
- Memorial Parkway Elementary: 21603 Park Tree Ln, Katy, TX 77450
- Paetow High School*: 23111 Stockdick School Road, Katy, TX 77493
- Schmalz Elementary*: 18605 Green Land Way, Houston, TX 77084
- Sundown Elementary: 20100 Saums Rd, Katy, TX 77449
- West Memorial Elementary: 22605 Provincial Blvd, Katy, TX 77450
- Williams Elementary: 3900 S. Peek Rd, Katy, TX 77450
- Tompkins High School: 4400 Falcon Landing Blvd, Katy, TX 77494
*Beginning Monday, March 23, curbside meal service will move from Bethke Elementary to Paetow High School. On Wednesday, Schmalz Elementary will begin distributing “grab and go” meals.
Alvin ISD Food and Nutrition Services will be providing to-go meals for all Alvin ISD students ages 18 and under. In order to receive a meal, the student must be in the vehicle. All meals may be picked up from 12-1 p.m. at Passmore Elementary, Rodeo Palms JH and Manvel JH locations.
Brazosport will provide free meals for anyone 18 and under. BISD Child Nutrition said they will provide two meals per day for our students that are 18 and under.
Starting Monday, pick up meals curbside between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. at the following locations:
- Ogg Elementary
- Velasco Elementary
- Ney Elementary
The district’s website said the “Meals on the Move” bus will also be making stops:
- Jones Creek-SFA STEM - 10:30-11:00 a.m.
- Freeport-Northgate Apartments - 11:15-11:40 a.m.
- Freeport-Ave J Apartments - 11:45-12:30 p.m.
- Clute-Madge Griffith Elementary - 1:00-1:30 p.m.
Conroe ISD will be distributing free meals to students on Tuesday, March 17 and Thursday, March 19. Students may pick up meals from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
CISD will be distributing free meals to students on Tues., Mar. 17, & Thurs., Mar. 19. Students may pick up meals from 10 AM-1 PM. Locations: @AustinCubs,@CaneyCreekHS,@ConroeHigh, @GrandOaksCISD, @HaukeCISD,@KnoxCISD, @ORWarEagles,@CollegeParkHS,@TWHSCISD,& @WJHS_Bulldogs. pic.twitter.com/p2F4TciRBk— Conroe ISD (@ConroeISD) March 13, 2020
Clear Creek ISD
Beginning Monday, CCISD will be offering drive-through meals on weekdays only from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Parents can drive up to the front entrance to receive a meal for each child that is present in the vehicle. This service is free to any child 18 years and younger.
Channelview ISD Child Nutrition Services will provide free drive-thru meals at Crenshaw Elementary, DeZavala Elementary, and Hamblen Elementary during the week of March 16-20. Child Nutrition staff will offer Grab and Go breakfast from 7:30-9 a.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. All children 18 and under, regardless of enrollment in Channelview ISD, may stop by to receive a meal for free. Children must be present to receive meals.
Galena Park ISD
The Galena Park ISD Student Nutrition Department will provide free meals beginning Tuesday, March 17, and will continue through the duration of the closure at the campuses listed below.
Student Nutrition staff will offer Grab and Go breakfast and lunch via curbside service. Students 18 and under must be present to receive meals. Breakfast will be provided from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. and lunch will be provided from 10:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Meals will be distributed near the bus ramp of the campus.
Curbside Meal Campuses:
- Woodland Acres Elementary School - 12956 Sarahs Ln, Houston, TX 77015
- Sam Houston Elementary School - 4101 East Sam Houston Pkwy N, Houston, TX 77015
- Galena Park Elementary School - 401 N Main St, Galena Park, TX 77547
- Dr. Shirley J. Williamson Elementary School - 6720 New Forest Parkway, Houston, TX 77049
- North Shore Middle School - 120 Castlegory Rd, Houston, TX 77015
NOTE: All Student Nutrition Department members will be screened by a GPISD nurse each morning prior to beginning food preparations.
Galveston ISD said free curbside meal service will be available Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at Ball High, Collegiate Academy at Weis and Crenshaw School.
BISD Food Services will be providing Grab & Go breakfast, lunch, and snack items to BISD students. These items can be picked up from the O’Bryant Intermediate Cafeteria March 16-March 20 from 8:30 a.m.-10 a.m.
Hempstead ISD and Southwest Foodservice Excellence will prepare and distribute meals for our students starting March 16-20 while schools are closed due to COVID-19 concerns. During the week, free sack breakfast and lunch meals will be available to any child 18 years of age or under via curbside pickup at Hempstead Elementary from 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Meals will be handed out at the back circle drive at the elementary school, located near the gym. The district is asking parents to enter from 11th St. onto Peebles. Children must be present to receive the meals, and the child does not need to be enrolled.
Hitchcock ISD has designated eight meal pickup locations for any school-age person to receive free meals. The district said they will have a bus parked at the following locations for meal pickup from 10:30-11:30 a.m. for lunch and again at 2:30-3:30 p.m. for a second meal. This will occur Monday through Friday of this week. Pick-up locations will include:
- KFHS parking lot
- Crosby Middle School – you will pick up from the cafeteria
- Bent Oaks Apartments
- The Life at Emerald Oaks
- The Village Apartments
- Galilee Missionary Baptist Church
- Joe Moore Park
- The corner of Heron & Highland Dr.
Starting on Tuesday, March 17 until Friday, March 20, Hurstville ISD will be providing a no-cost “Grab & Go Lunch” via the Green Hornet Food Bus. The Green Hornet will follow the same lunch delivery schedule as it does for the HISD Summer Feeding program. The bus will stop and distribute lunches for a limited amount of time in the parking lot of the sites listed below. The Green Hornet Food Bus Schedule for lunch only (Tuesday - Friday) will be as follows:
- 10:45 a.m. - Cogan’s Grove Subdivision (FM 1696)
- 11:30 a.m. - YMCA (Old Houston Rd.)
- 11:55 a.m. - Boys & Girls Club of Walker County (MLK Dr.)
- 12:20 p.m. - University Heights Baptist Church (Sycamore Ave.)
- 1:00 p.m. - Riverside Baptist Church
Klein ISD Nutrition and Food Services will be providing free curbside meals on March 16 and 17. The district will offer one week’s worth of breakfast meals and lunch meals at select campuses. Children 18 and under must be present to receive meals. All meals will be served from 8-11 a.m. For more information and a full list of curbside pickup hubs, click here.
Magnolia ISD will provide free meals starting on Tuesday. Families will be able to drive through for curbside pick up at two of our elementary school locations.
Locations: Magnolia Elementary School (west side) and Smith Elementary School (east side)
When: Tuesday, March 17 - Friday, March 20
Time: 9-11 a.m.
All children 18 or under will eat free and children need to be present in the car. Each child will receive one breakfast and one lunch in a to-go bag or box.
Lamar CISD is offering free lunch for children 18 and under starting Monday, March 16 and free breakfast starting Tuesday, March 17. Mobile walk-up or drive-thru meal service will continue until services are no longer needed.
Humble ISD invites parents to pick up meals at no cost for their children from March 17-20. Here are a few details to know:
- Children and students should be present to receive a meal. The meals are for children 1-18 years old and all Humble ISD students.
- Unfortunately, the district is unable to accept volunteers at this time.
- Reservations are not required but are greatly appreciated to help us have the correct quantity at each location. Submit your Reservation for Tuesday, March 17.
- Breakfast will be provided from 8 to 10 a.m. and lunch will be provided from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on March 17-20 at Elm Grove Elementary School, Oaks Elementary School, Ridge Creek Elementary School, River Pines Elementary School, Humble Middle School, and Ross Sterling Middle School.
- The daily menu and reservation form will be posted to www.humbleisd.net.
Families will be able to pick up free breakfast and lunch for their children who are 18 years old and under from 8 to 11 a.m. March 16-20 at the following school sites:
- Anderson Elementary, 6218 Lyngate, Spring
- Bammel Elementary, 17309 Red Oak Dr., Houston
- Booker Elementary, 22352 Imperial Valley Dr., Houston
- Clark Primary, 12625 River Laurel Dr., Houston
- Claughton Middle, 3000 Spears Rd., Houston
- Hoyland Elementary, 2200 Wittershaw Dr, Houston
- McNabb Elementary, 743 East Cypresswood Dr., Spring
- Meyer Elementary, 16330 Forest Way Dr., Houston
- Ponderosa Elementary, 17202 Butte Creek Rd., Houston
- Reynolds Elementary, 3975 Gladeridge Dr., Houston
- Smith Elementary, 26000 Cypresswood Dr., Spring
Families arriving during the scheduled time will receive both breakfast and lunch for their children, who must be present with their parents. Look for a drive-through area at the front of the school where the grab-and-go lunches will be handed out.
During the week, free sack meals will be available to any child age 18 or younger via curbside pickup at select school locations during specific times.
Here’s how curbside meal service will work:
- Meals may be picked up at Waller High School, Fields Store Elementary, OR Roberts Road Elementary.
- Breakfast will be available from 7:30 to 9 a.m.
- Lunch will be available from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- See maps for enter, exit, and pick up at each location; a WISD/Harris County Sheriff School Resource Officer will be in place to direct cars.
- In order to expedite service to all, do not exit your vehicle.
- A WISD School Nutrition employee will hand-deliver sack meals to your car
During the closure from Monday, March 16 - Friday, March 20, RISD will be offering pre-packaged breakfast and lunch for students.
- Breakfast: 8-10 a.m.
- Lunch: 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
To pick up meals (one per student), visit the food services team at the rear of Royal High School. Signs will be posted at the campus to direct traffic flow.
An RISD staff member will provide one pre-packaged meal(s) per student to each vehicle. Each student must be in the vehicle to receive a meal.
Copyright 2020 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.