Earth Day is Friday, April 22. Here’s a schedule of Houston events and volunteer opportunities that honor our planet.
🌎 Earth Day events
- Earth Day Celebration at Children’s Museum Houston | Saturday, April 23 - “Here’s to our world! Join us in celebrating Earth Day with fun, nature-themed projects, demonstrations and experiments!” 1500 Binz Street, Houston, Texas 77004, (713) 522-1138.
- Earth Day Celebration at Houston Arboretum | Saturday, April 23 - “Express your love for our awesome planet by joining us for a fun, FREE event! This year we’re celebrating Earth Day through art: poetry, drawing, photography, and more. Get creative with us and explore informative booths, nature hikes, fun displays in the Discovery Room, and earth-friendly crafts and activities.” 4501 Woodway Drive, Houston, Texas 77024, (713) 681-8433.
- Houston Public Library Earth Day Festival | Saturday, April 23 - “Join us for our first annual Earth Day celebration at the Central Library! Enjoy story time, dance and music, movies, and earth-friendly activities. Explore informative booths, engage in thought-provoking discussions, and take home free tree seedlings. A fun-filled day for the whole family! This event is free and open to the public.” Barbara Bush Literacy Plaza, 500 McKinney St, Houston, TX 77002, (832) 393-1313.
🌱 Volunteer opportunities
- Become a prairie and wetland restoration volunteer with Sheldon Lake State Park | Every Tuesday - “Be part of a large-scale prairie and wetland restoration project! Our volunteers come out every Tuesday from 8:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m. to plant, pot, and perform other restoration activities. Volunteers should expect to get dirty and learn about prairies and wetlands! No experience necessary, orientation and training provided. Minimum age of 18. Criminal background check required. Contact Matthew Moore at Matthew.Moore@tpwd.texas.gov to get involved.” 14140 Garrett Rd. Houston, Texas 77044.
- Plant a tree along Sims Bayou | Friday, April 22 - “Give back to Mother Earth by planting trees on Earth Day along Houston’s Sims Bayou.” Sims Bayou Greenway, Park Place, Houston, Texas 77017.
- Buffalo Bayou Partnership volunteer workday | Saturday, April 23 - “Houstonians, ages 9 and up, are invited to join Buffalo Bayou Partnership for community-wide volunteer days at Buffalo Bayou Park happening the third Saturday of each month. Whether volunteering as an individual or a small group, your efforts will lead to a healthier environment and a more aesthetically pleasing amenity for all to enjoy. Individuals can register by completing our online waiver. Small groups can reserve spaces and larger groups can schedule another day during the month by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers will help with a variety of tasks, including but not limited to: trash pick-up, mulching and weed removal. We do ask that all volunteers bring their own work gloves. All other necessary work tools will be provided by BBP.” (713) 752-0314, ext. 206., email@example.com.
- Plant a tree with Trees For Houston | Periodic volunteer opportunities - “Founded in 1983, Trees For Houston initially focused our early efforts on planting street trees in the heart of Houston. Now celebrating our 38th anniversary, with over half a million trees planted, our organization has evolved into one that grows, plants, and maintains thousands of trees across the greater Houston region.” Register here to receive notifications about upcoming volunteer opportunities. (713) 840-8733 INFO@TREESFORHOUSTON.ORG.
If your organization is hosting an Earth Day volunteer event and you’d like it included here, please email information to firstname.lastname@example.org.