HOUSTON – If you or a loved one struggles with gluten sensitivity, gluten intolerance or celiac disease, there are delicious and flavorful recipes you can prepare at home.
Chef Nadia Ahmed, plant-based diet educator and chef with Green Roots Kitchen, shares how to prepare a gluten-free version of a soul food classic: creole jambalaya.
To see Ahmed’s complete interview, watch the video above.
And for those who are not familiar with gluten and don’t know why some people can have it, she also explained what gluten is all about in the video below.
Creole gluten-free jambalaya
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon Earth Balance vegan butter
• 2 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit in water, cores cut
• 1/4 cup Cajun seasoning (3 tablespoons paprika + 1.5 tablespoons kosher salt + 2 tablespoon garlic powder + 1 tablespoon each black pepper, onion powder, dried oregano, thyme, ½ tablespoon cayenne)
• 2 cups diced, medium yellow onion
• 1 cup diced green bell pepper
• 1 cup diced celery
• ½ cup sliced green onion
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoon parsley, minced + more for garnish
• 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 bay leaves
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Pinch cayenne
• ¼ teaspoon dried basil
• ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
• 2 cups long grain rice
• 1 14 ounces can chop tomatoes
• 3-4 cups vegetable stock
1. Heat oil and butter over medium heat.
2. Brown jackfruit seasoned with ¼ cup of the Cajun seasoning breaking apart with a spoon about 10 minutes.
3. Remove Jackfruit from pan and set aside.
4. Add onions, bell pepper, and celery. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until veggies start to soften.
5. Add garlic, green onions, parsley, sausage and beans. Continue to cook for 7-10 minutes until everything is browned. Occasionally scrapping the bottom of the pan.
6. Add rice stirring occasionally until lightly toasted. About 5 minutes.
7. Return jackfruit back to pot, add tomatoes and vegetable broth, mix well; bring to a boil.
8. Cover the pot and turn heat down to a simmer (alternatively place in the oven at 350 degrees) Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is softened.
9. Uncover pot and allow rice to continue to cook an additional 5 minutes more.
10. Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.
11. Garnish with parsley
Ahmed also shared the following tips for the recipe.
Same size, same shape: Cut the ingredients the same size and shape to ensure even cooking.
Sausage substitute: For a plant-based recipe, substitute the vegan sausage with mushrooms.
Jackfruit: Be sure to get the jackfruit in water rather than brine or syrup.
Food tasting: Taste the food throughout the cooking process and season as necessary.
Recipe provided by Nadia Ahmed.