UFC champion Conor McGregor has announced his retirement

Conor McGregor speaks during a media event for the UFC 246 mixed martial arts bout, Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020, in Las Vegas. McGregor is scheduled to fight Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone in a welterweight bout Saturday in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)
Conor McGregor speaks during a media event for the UFC 246 mixed martial arts bout, Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020, in Las Vegas. McGregor is scheduled to fight Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone in a welterweight bout Saturday in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher) (Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

(CNN) -- Mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor announced his retirement from the sport on social media Sunday.

The former two-division UFC World Champion said he was done fighting in a statement posted to his verified Twitter early Sunday morning.

"Hey guys I've decided to retire from fighting," the tweet said. "Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it's been! Here is a picture of myself and my mother in Las Vegas post one of my World title wins! Pick the home of your dreams Mags I love you! Whatever you desire it's yours"

This isn't the first time the mixed martial arts star has announced his retirement on social media.

The controversial Irish fighter, whose nickname is "The Notorious," announced his retirement from the sport in March of 2019 but returned to the ring earlier this year to battle American fighter Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone in Las Vegas, Nevada.

He went on to beat the Cowboy with a technical knockout after 15 months of retirement.

And in 2016, he tweeted, "I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later."

'It's in my blood to fight'