With the Kansas City Chiefs win, the Houston Texans will be the fourth seed and will host the Buffalo Bills in the Wild Card round.
The only scenario that landed Houston in that third spot is if the Texans beat the Titans and the Chiefs lose to the Chargers.
Kansas City defeated the Chargers and secured a first-round playoff bye with the win.
All other results landed Houston the fourth seed. Houston will host the Bills at home to open the playoffs.
The Texans clinched the AFC South division title and their playoff berth in week 16 with their win at Tampa Bay.
The Texans host the Tennessee Titans on the final Sunday of the regular season at 3:25 p.m.
Houston is expected to rest several starters, including quarterback Deshaun Watson, which would thrust A.J. McCarron into the starter’s role for the first time since signing with the Texans this past offseason.
In the AFC, the one seed has been determined and that is the Baltimore Ravens. Beyond that only the fifth seed is also locked in and that is Buffalo.
Here are all the scenarios for the AFC playoffs heading into Sunday’s games:
New England (12-3) clinches a first-round bye (2 seed) with:
- Patriots win or tie OR
- Chiefs loss or tie
Kansas City (11-4) clinches a first-round bye (2 seed) with:
- Chiefs win AND Patriots loss
Tennessee (8-7) clinches a playoff berth (6 seed) with:
- Titans win OR
- Titans tie AND Steelers loss or tie OR
- Steelers loss and Colts loss or tie
Pittsburgh (8-7) clinches a playoff berth (6 seed) with:
- Steelers win and Titans loss or tie OR
- Steelers tie and Titans loss OR
- Titans loss and Colts win and Raiders loss or tie OR
- Titans loss and Colts win and Steelers tie Raiders in strength-of-victory tiebreaker
Oakland (7-8) clinches a playoff berth (6 seed) with:
- Raiders win and Steelers loss and Titans loss and Colts win and Raiders clinches strength-of-victory tiebreaker/