The Federal Trade Commission says Texans have made 1,164 complaints relating to COVID-19 scams, as of April 14.
Texas is the state with the third-most complaints in the US. California tops the list with 2,166 complaints and Florida ranks second with 1,302.
Texas surpasses New York by just two complaints.
Here are a few things to know:
• FTC reports a total fraud loss of $13.44 million in the United States.
• 583 of complaints made in Texas been reported as fraud.
• The top fraud products and services used to lure victims are travel and online shopping scams.
• 57 complaints made in Texas were reported as do not call scams and 102 were reported as identity theft.
• The remain 430 reports fall under the “other” category.