Suspected shooter charged after 6 injured in Galveston shooting at Lone Star Rally

GALVESTON, Texas – The suspected shooter, who is accused of opening gunfire during the Lone Star Rally in Galveston, Texas on Saturday, was arrested and charged in the shooting, according to the Galveston Police Department.

Peddis Ray, 20, of Hitchcock, is an alleged gang member and was charged with six counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. When Ray was arrested, he had a gun with him. He was detained Sunday morning as a person of interest.

Officers responded to a shooting just before 11 p.m. between 21st and 22nd Street in The Strand commercial area.

Police originally said five people had been injured at the large motorcycle rally, and they have now shared that six people were injured. One of the victims had minor injuries and did not receive medical care.

The other five victims are still hospitalized. One is in critical condition, and two other people had surgery and are expected to make full recoveries.

Two others did not have surgery and are also expected to fully recover.

Ray’s bond total was $600,000, and he was booked into the Galveston County Jail.

“Unfortunately, we believe this incident is related to ongoing gun related violence in Galveston County, and nothing has shown it is related to the rally itself,” Galveston Police Chief Doug Balli said. “The suspect claims to be a member of a local gang and we believe the investigation will show the suspect was targeting rival gang members.”

Witnesses recalled their experience during the shooting.

“I heard gunshots from the back room, and when I went to the window, I saw people were scattering. Something was going on,” Joe Flores said, who witnessed the situation.

Paul also saw the shooting and said he was with his friends when everything broke out.

“There were gunshots of course you know our family members, I was trying to make sure they were OK right away. The Galveston Police Department told us to evacuate,” he said.

Balli said this was an isolated incident, and they had never seen violence like this at the Lone Star Rally.

Police closed off about four blocks of The Strand, which have now reopened. Officers were able to respond quickly to the scene because there was heavy police presence due to the rally.

About the Authors:

Cynthia Miranda graduated from UT Austin and is a proud Houstonian. She is passionate about covering breaking news and community stories. Cynthia previously covered elections, the historic 2021 Texas winter storm, and other news in East Texas. In addition to writing, she also loves going to concerts, watching movies, and cooking with her family.

T.J. Parker joined KPRC 2 in June 2023 and is happy to be back in Houston. Before coming back to the Lone Star State, T.J. was a reporter in Miami at WSVN Channel 7. There he covered all things up and down the south Florida coast.