HOUSTON – The University of Houston will be celebrating Earth Day with events going on all this week at their campus.
The first set of events which will start the week are the E-Waste collection and Ecology Blitz.
The collection will be at the Student Center Circle Drive from 8 a.m. to noon on Monday. The blitz will run from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Monday afternoon at Shasta’s Pocket Prairie.
You can view the full schedule of events below.
Monday, April 17
8 a.m. -12 p.m. at Student Center Circle Drive
- Bring your unwanted electronic items to be recycled through Bass Computer Recycling. Find a list of acceptable items here.
1-3 p.m. starting at Shasta’s Pocket Prairie
- Join the UH Coastal Center and the Department of Biology and Biochemistry at Shasta’s Pocket Prairie to locate and identify as many plant, animal and insect species as possible on campus.
Tuesday, April 18
Food Waste Audit
11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Cougar Woods Dining Commons
Lunch and Learn with the Houston Audubon
12-1 p.m. at Student Center Multipurpose Room
- Join the Student Centers Sustainability Lunch and Learn to hear a presentation from the Houston Audubon. Learn about bird conservation and how you can get involved.
Wednesday, April 18
11 a.m. – 3 p.m. on Student Center North Lawn
- Join UH Dining and student organizations for a special farmers market that highlights sustainable products and practices.
Cougar Closet Clothing Repair Workshop
- The Cougar Closet is a communal closet for all UH students. Come learn how to repair your clothes and why thrifting and mending are sustainable practices.
Thursday, April 20
UH Coastal Center Presentation
11 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Student Center South, South Midtown Room
- Come learn about the UH Coastal Center and its conservation efforts during this presentation by Program Director Evelyn Merz.
Carbon “Foodprint” Activity
11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Moody Towers Dining Commons
UH Dining recently implemented “How Good,” a rating system that determines recipes’ carbon impacts. Walk through Moody Towers Dining to try dishes with smaller “foodprints.”'
Friday, April 21
Shasta’s Prairie Volunteering
9 -11 a.m. at Shasta’s Pocket Prairie
- Volunteer with UH Coastal Center leadership and biology and biochemistry faculty to clean up the campus pocket prairie. Learn about native prairie plants and what it takes to maintain the space on campus.
Tree Planting and Earth Week Picnic
11 a.m. – 1 p.m. at General Services Building Lawn
- Get your hands dirty with the Office of Sustainability and MVP to plant native trees on campus. All volunteers will receive a free Earth Week T-shirt.