NBC Nightly News anchor Lester Holt is starting the week in Houston as part of the network’s week-long special coverage on the state of the climate crisis. The network-wide series “Climate Challenge” will include exclusive reporting on TODAY, NBC Nightly News, Meet the Press, and NBCNews.com.
Holt coming to Houston comes just two months after rare winter storms led to deaths, widespread power outages, and extensive property damage in Texas. According to NBC, Holt will interview Mayor Sylvester Turner, as well as the former head of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, about what is at stake for cities and states that don’t act now to plan for inevitable climate change events. Holt will also speak with a local family that not only had their home destroyed by Hurricane Harvey, but was impacted by the February storms as well. You can watch the live, special edition of NBC Nightly News hosted from Houston at 5:30 p.m. on Monday on KPRC 2.
NBC News has released additional information about its exclusive, in-depth reporting for the week. “Climate Challenge” coverage includes the following:
• TODAY’s Al Roker will sit down with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Michael Regan in his first interview since starting the position.
• Roker will also travel to Michigan for an exclusive look inside General Motors’ new all-electric vehicle assembly plant and will speak with GM’s chief sustainability officers about the company’s pivot towards environmentally friendlier production and the future of the auto industry.
• On NBC Nightly News, NBC News Correspondent Steve Patterson reports on California’s quest to control and learn about fires and air pollution. He gets rare access inside Stanford’s immunology lab as it conducts tests with firefighters on the frontlines who have spent their lives combating some of the worst fires in American history.
• Following the increase of deliveries and packaging waste during the Covid-19 lockdowns, NBC News Consumer and Investigative Correspondent Vicky Nguyen reports for TODAY on the recycling process to see what is working, and what waste is continuing to add to landfill.
• As researchers invest millions into undoing environmental damages through carbon capture technology, NBC News Correspondent Sarah Harman will have an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at Carb Fix, the world’s biggest carbon capture site in Iceland, on this Sunday’s NBC Nightly News.