Ask 2: Answering your questions about government offices and documents during the pandemic

Photo does not have a caption

HOUSTON – Consumer expert Amy Davis is answering viewers’ questions about government offices and documents during the pandemic.

Q: I need to renew my license in person. How and when can I do that?

A: Texas Department of Public Safety offices are reopening in 4 phases. The greater Houston area in is in Phase 4. Beginning May 29th at 1pm, you can schedule an appointment online. Appointments begin June 3rd. DPS Offices- 4 phase reopening. For other details about DPS openings, click here.

Q: How do we get vehicle registration?

A: The governor has granted a temporary extension for drivers with expired or expiring Texas registration stickers. Once all systems are back online, you will have a 60-day grace period to renew before you could face a penalty. The Texas DMV reopened its regional service centers for in-person services by appointment only. These are the specific in-person services available: Replacement titles, bonded title notices of determination, title histories, temporary permits, assigned/ reassigned numbers, registration refund authorizations, investigation and resolution of Texas title errors. To schedule a same-day or next day appointment, visit

Renewing via the website is still an option at

You can also try registering your vehicle at one of these places.

Q: My passport has expired. How can I go about renewing it?

About the Author: