If your home was damaged in northwest Houston explosion, this is how to get repairs paid by insurance company

HOUSTON – When Watson Grinding & Manufacturing exploded after a propylene leak Thursday morning, homes shook and windows rattled up to 20 miles away.

Dozens of homes and businesses closer to the scene are left with thousands of dollars in damage. Damages range from broken windows to cracked walls and foundations to ceilings that caved in.

Consumer expert Amy Davis talked with insurance experts from the Insurance Expert Network to find out what you need to do if your home was damaged.

Lou Fey with Fey Consulting, LLC and Jim Hughes of Hughes Mediation offered these recommendations.

1) Document everything first.

Take pictures of your damage. Wide, medium and tight shots. Make sure your images are clear. Take notes of all of the damage; and continue to take notes every step of this process. When you make a phone call, write down the date, time and person you spoke with. You need to be organized. Jim Hughes said you need to act as if you don’t have insurance.

2) Protect your property.

Make sure your home is protected from further damage. If you have missing windows that can not be replaced today, board them up.

About the Author: