Trust Index is Graham Media Group’s initiative to combat misinformation and provide viewers and readers fact-checked information to share with others.
Trust Index team goals include:
- Identifying manipulated or out-of-context user-generated content
- Detecting fake stories generated for revenue or political motives
- Exposing political ads served algorithmically with little oversight
- Supporting transparency in the newsroom
- Reinforcing journalistic ethics
- Counteracting misinformation with incisive reporting and social posts
- Encouraging people to contact trained fact-checking journalists when they’re confused about something they read or heard
The Trust Index team sets aside any agenda or biases and rely on primary source information, expert interviews and our previous reporting to evaluate claims. All sources are disclosed in a Trust Index story on our website. In order to maintain transparency and trust in our process, readers will be able to recreate fact checks with reported information.
Each Trust Index story receives one of three labels:
The designated label is assigned after a claim of information is reviewed through the Trust Index process established in our newsrooms.