Man accused of killing San Antonio detective married Houston woman before arrest

SAN ANTONIO – A man accused of killing a San Antonio police detective Sunday while the officer was writing a traffic ticket got married to a Houston woman just before he was arrested Monday evening, according to records.

According to the arrest affidavit for Otis McKane, a man who works at a tire rental business at 813 Bandera Road contacted police Monday morning after he saw news reports about Detective Benjamin Marconi's slaying.

The man told investigators that he recognized McKane as a customer to whom he had sold rims and tires several weeks ago for a black Mitsibushi Galant, the car that police said the suspect was driving, the affidavit said.

The worker told police that McKane went to the business often to make payments on the tires and rims and that he had paperwork documenting the sale, the affidavit said.

Another key witness who helped police arrest McKane was a man who told investigators that he had witnessed the fatal shooting, which occurred around 11:45 a.m. Sunday in front of police headquarters.

The witness said he had seen McKane park his car behind Marconi's police cruiser, get out of his car and shoot the officer, the affidavit said.

Police on Monday showed the witness a photo of McKane and five other people who looked like him, the affidavit said. The witness immediately picked out the suspect from the picture, the affidavit said.

An arrest warrant was secured, and McKane was apprehended Monday afternoon by police.

According to records, McKane married a Houston woman just before his arrest. Bexar County marriage records identified the woman as Christian Fields.

Fields is the registered owner of the car police said McKane was in when they arrested him. A woman and a child were also in the vehicle, police said.

Fields is not facing any charges in connection with the case.

The address on the marriage license is for an apartment complex off Cypress Station Drive in north Houston. 

The current tenant in apartment 4604 told KPRC 2 that Fields moved out in June, but still gets mail sent to the address. 

Other neighbors said they knew Fields and they even recognized McKane.

"He looks a little familiar to me. He does," Basamiah Hassan said.

"Everybody wants to feel safe and secure and you don't want that to be close to home," one neighbor said.

"Sometimes you don't know who your neighbors are," said another neighbor.

When he was being escorted by police to the Bexar County Jail, McKane told reporters that he was mad at society for not letting him see his son, who is at the center of a custody battle.

"I've been through several custody battles, and I was upset at the system I was in, and I lashed out at somebody who didn’t deserve it,” McKane said.

McKane was charged with capital murder.

Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood said he will review the case before deciding whether to pursue the death penalty.

KPRC 2's sister station, KSAT-TV, contributed to this report. Click/tap here to read their full story.

Download the Click2Houston news app in your app store to stay up-to-date with the latest news while you're on the go.

Sign up for KPRC 2 newsletters to get breaking news, sports, entertainment, contests and more delivered straight to your email inbox.