HOUSTON – If you’re still employed during the pandemic, consider yourself lucky, or even blessed.
To determine the strongest local job markets in the U.S., WalletHub compared more than 180 cities across 32 key metrics. The data set ranges from job opportunities to employment growth to monthly average starting salary.
When it comes to finding work in Houston, the Bayou City ranked as follows (1=Best; 91=Avg.):
- 130th – Job Opportunities
- 56th – Employment Growth
- 126th – Unemployment Rate
- 75th – Industry Variety
- 12th – Monthly Average Starting Salary
- 125th – % of Workforce Living in Poverty
- 94th – Median Annual Income*
- 69th – Housing Affordability
- 173rd – Avg. Work & Commute Time
- 57th – Avg. COVID-19 Weekly Cases per Capita
According to the most recent jobs report from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the national unemployment rate is 6.7%, WalletHub says. This still leaves many Americans looking for jobs.
The ranks were also adjusted for cost of living.
To see how other cities in the U.S. ranked, go to https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173.