Houston firefighter reprimanded after mother, daughter die of carbon monoxide poisoning, NBC News reports
The Houston Fire Department reprimanded a firefighter for misconduct after an investigation into a delayed 911 response to a case in which a mother and daughter died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Tips to know before starting your generator during a power outage
In the aftermath of a storm, a generator can be a crucial part of your recovery. It can power a fan, turn on some lights and keep your food cool. But many people only use a generator in an emergency and don’t operate them properly. This can lead to serious injury or death.
Winter storm, power outages increasing patient load for hospitals
Gee, who was last seen by family the day before she died, was in a complex whose power had been shut off during this week’s storm. “It really doesn’t take very low temperatures to put us in a difficult situation,” said Dr. David Callender, the president and CEO of the Memorial Hermann system. They are people who need dialysis or oxygen but they don’t have power at home or at the facility they usually visit. This week, Memorial Hermann saw more than 100 patients alone. “Unfortunately it sneaks up on us and there really aren’t obvious symptoms until we may be near unconsciousness,” he said.
Carbon monoxide blamed for deaths of woman and child
Southwest Houston – A woman and child are dead after a carbon monoxide poisoning in southwest Houston, according to Houston police. On the 8300 block of La Roche Lane, investigators said the woman was trying to stay warm by running a car inside of a garage, however, fumes from the exhaust seeped inside the car as well as the connecting home. Houston police officers responded to the to conduct a welfare check around midnight and discovered the person dead in the car. Inside the home investigators found another unconscious adult and seven-year-old boy, along with a dead eight-year-old girl according to police. “You know it’s a very difficult time a lot of people are without power I know it’s cold, but you have to be careful about using generators or cars inside of garages…carbon monoxide its odorless and it can kill people,” said Houston police Lt. Larry Crowson.
6 people ‘feeling dizzy’ after carbon monoxide leak in generator in SW Houston, HFD says
Lights atop a police cruiser flash at the scene of a crime in this undated file image. HOUSTON – Six people were feeling dizzy Tuesday morning after being around a generator in southwest Houston, according to Houston Fire Department. Officials said they responded to a carbon monoxide leak at 12602 Wellington Park. The call was reported after 1 a.m.HFD said it is unclear if the generator was in the house or not. Officials said no one was transported to the hospital.
6 people, including 4 children, hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning, Cy-Fair Fire says
HOUSTON – A family is recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning Monday afternoon, according to Cy-Fair Fire Department. The family was reportedly using a charcoal grill to heat their apartment unit at the 8500 block of Easton Commons Drive. Officials said six people, including four children that ages range from 5 to 10 years old, were transported to the hospital. The family was reportedly burning the fire for warmth for about four hours, according to Cy-Fair Fire. These produce carbon monoxide, which is a deadly, colorless and odorless gas,” the department wrote on Twitter.
Couple found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in southeast Houston home identified, family says
HOUSTON – A husband and wife who were found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning at a southeast Houston residence Wednesday night have been identified. The Houston Fire Department said they responded to a call at the residence located in the 3000 block of Burkett Street at around 9:30 p.m. When fire officials arrived at the scene, they said they found the man and woman, who have been identified as Louis McDonald and Mary Helen Williams, dead inside the home. According to officers, they believe the man and woman died from carbon monoxide poisoning from the generator. Arthur Williams told KPRC 2 that Mary, who is in her 60s, is his mother and Louis is his stepfather.