Second case dismissed amid review of HPD Officer Goines' work

HOUSTON - Prosecutors have dismissed a second case being re-examined because they involved a Houston officer accused of lying in an affidavit that led to a deadly drug raid.

Court records show the drug possession case against Treveon Cornett was dismissed Monday, nearly a week after the Harris County District Attorney's Office announced it will review more than 1,400 cases tied to Officer Gerald Goines.

Cornett's case was dismissed due to an "interest of justice," court documents stated. He was charged on July 17, 2018, for cocaine possession.

No other details were released.

The drug case against Courtney Jacobs was dismissed last Wednesday.

The cases are under review following last month's raid that left five officers wounded and two residents dead.

The district attorney's office says none of the cases are being dismissed merely because of Goines' involvement.

The FBI has launched a civil rights investigation into the botched raid.

Houston police chief Art Acevedo said officers serving warrants will start wearing body cameras and the department will stop using no-knock warrants.

However, the department will not be eliminating no-knock warrants altogether, but rather the chief is making tweaks to the policy. He said there will be restrictions on how often they are issued.

All this comes after Channel 2 Investigates first uncovered a warrant that raised questions about Goines and whether he should face charges on allegations that the entire sting was built on a lie.

Goines was released from the hospital to recover between surgeries, his attorney said Thursday.

Below is a look at the cases of Goines that are under review, as well as a timeline of the shootout investigation:

Copyright 2019 by KPRC Click2Houston. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.