DeSantis drops provocations -- for now -- in response to Ian
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has whipsawed his way through the national conversation this month, first by putting migrants on planes or buses to Democratic strongholds and then shifting to a more traditional role of crisis manager as one of the strongest hurricanes to ever hit the U.S. barreled into his state.
In Ian's wake, worried families crowdsource rescue efforts
Desperate to locate and rescue their loved ones, social media users are sharing phone numbers, addresses and photos of their family members and friends online for anyone who can check on them after Hurricane Ian made landfall in southwest Florida.
Live Updates: Hurricane Ian wallops Florida, heads north
Rescuers from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, other states and counties were racing against the clock as the sun was about to set Thursday in North Port, to help families stranded in their own homes surrounded by streets that had turned into canals.
Post-Fiona fuel disruptions spark fear in Puerto Rico
A growing number of businesses including grocery stores and gas stations are temporarily closing across Puerto Rico as power outages caused by Hurricane Fiona drag on in the U.S. territory, sparking concern about the availability of fuel and basic goods.
Miami fires Manny Diaz, awaits Mario Cristobal decision
Manny Diaz was fired as Miami’s football coach Monday, after a 7-5 regular season and with the school in deep negotiations to bring Oregon coach Mario Cristobal back to his alma mater to take over. Diaz went 21-15 in three seasons at Miami.news.yahoo.com
Chiefs beat Rebels 36-26 to end Super Rugby 4th round
The Hamilton-based Chiefs started and finished strongly to beat the Melbourne Rebels 36-26 Sunday and wrap up the fourth round of the Australia-New Zealand Super Rugby tournament. The match was the second involving the Rebels to be played in Sydney because of a community outbreak of COVID-19 in Austalia’s second-largest city. Travel between Melbourne and New Zealand currently is suspended.news.yahoo.com
Brumbies beat Hurricanes 12-10, scuttling Canes' final hopes
The ACT Brumbies upset the Wellington-based Hurricanes 12-10 in Super Rugby trans-Tasman on Saturday, giving Australian teams their second win of the tournament and likely ending the Hurricanes' pursuit of a place in the final. In a dramatic finish, with the Brumbies clinging to a two-point lead, a Hurricanes try was disallowed because of a knock-on in the lead-up and fullback Jordie Barrett missed two potentially match-winning penalties. The contentious decision to scrub out a decisive try came in the 73rd minute as the Hurricanes had begun to stretch a tiring Brumbies defense.news.yahoo.com
Tropical Storm Bertha forms off the South Carolina coast
Published: May 27, 2020, 7:25 am Updated: May 27, 2020, 8:03 amMIAMI Tropical Storm Bertha formed Wednesday morning off the coast of South Carolina, becoming the second named storm before the official start of this year's Atlantic hurricane season. A tropical storm warning has been issued for South Carolina's coast and the storm was expected to bring heavy rainfall, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said. The storm was centered about 30 miles (50 kilometers) east-southeast of Charleston, South Carolina, and was moving northwest near 9 mph (15 kph). Earlier this month, Tropical Storm Arthur brought rain to North Carolina before moving out to sea. It was the sixth straight year that a named storm has developed before June 1, the official start of the Atlantic hurricane season.
Get ready: Busy hurricane season now official
The NHC anticipates a 60% chance for an ABOVE-normal season, a 30% chance for an AVERAGE season, and a 10% chance for a BELOW-normal season. Water is the fuel for hurricanes in that warm water creates warm air and that warm air rises into the atmosphere creating showers and thunderstorms. Above Normal Water water temps in the Gulf, Caribbean and Atlantic. Courtesy tropicaltidbitsBut if that rising air is disrupted by the wind then, of course, the storms wont form. And when you already have storms moving over the ocean you bypass that first step of rising air to create the storms to form a hurricane!
Does an early start to hurricane season mean anything?
Tropical Storm Arthur said hello over the weekend, starting our hurricane season -- once again -- before the official June 1 date. So there are two obvious questions:Does an early start mean well have a shorter season? In 2003, we had an April system show up and the season didnt end that year until December 11th. Hurricane Jerry October 1989, our latest hurricane to strike the Texas coastDoes an early start mean well have more hurricanes? What can we learn from an early start?
Hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones are becoming stronger, according to a new NOAA study
(CNN) -- It is becoming increasingly evident that hurricanes, typhoons, and tropical cyclones worldwide are becoming stronger and potentially more deadly as the globe warms due to the climate crisis, according to a new study. The study, released on Monday by researchers at the University of Wisconsin in Madison and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), looked at nearly 40 years of satellite data of global storms. "Almost all of the damage and mortality caused by hurricanes is done by major hurricanes (category 3 to 5)," Kossin said. The study reveals that global warming has increased sea surface temperature in regions where tropical cyclones form. Evidence shows global warming is making tropical cyclones strongerFinding trends in global tropical cyclones has traditionally suffered from inconsistent data records going back several decades, said Ryan Maue, a private industry meteorologist not involved in the recent research.
Tropical depression forms off Florida coast
MIAMI (AP) THE National Hurricane Center said Saturday that a low pressure system just off the coast of east-central Florida has become a tropical depression and that a tropical storm watch has been issued for a portion of the North Carolina coast. In a 5 p.m. update, meteorologists said the storm is located about 125 miles (200 km) east of Melbourne, Florida. The storm, which has been named Tropical Depression One, is moving north-northeastward at 13 mph (20 kph). The storm is forecast to keep the same track, which means the tropical depression will be offshore, but parallel to, the east coast of Florida. A tropical storm warning was issued for parts of North Carolina's coast, from north of Surf City to Duck, including Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds.
Hurricanes 2020: Forecasters are looking at 4 major hurricanes that could impact the United States this year
Houston, TX The coronavirus clearly dominates the headlines, but, over the next few weeks, different forecasts for the Atlantic 2020 Hurricane Season will be edging into our news cycle. Normal count is for 12 tropical storms and of those 6 become hurricanes with 3 becoming major hurricanes. ACCUWEATHER published their forecast this week calling for not only a higher than normal number but also adds the number of impacts to the United States. You can read the full Accuweather hurricane forecast right here. Ive also talked about Dale Links forecast which doesnt predict number of hurricanes but rather where theyll go.
Hawaii hurricanes: one down, one to go
Hawaii hurricanes: one down, one to go Hurricane Iselle, which was downgraded to a tropical storm before it came to shore, knocked down power lines, phones and trees, but did not cause major damage. Now the state is preparing for Hurricane Julio. Bigad Shaban reports from Hilo, Hawaii.cbsnews.com