Rest in peace: Officer Abigail dies Tuesday after long battle with cancer

HOUSTON – A little girl with cancer who stole hearts when she became an honorary member of the Freeport Police Department, died Tuesday after battling the disease for years, the department announced on its Facebook page. 

Abigail Arias, 7, was diagnosed with a Wilms tumor in her kidney, a type of cancer that doctors said has no cure. She was first diagnosed with cancer at age 4 and after going through treatment and chemotherapy, she'd achieved remission. But a few months later, she was once again diagnosed with the aggressive disease. 

See a livestream of the law enforcement processional for the 7-year-old: 

LIVE: Procession held for 7-year-old Abigail Arias, who died Tuesday. She was named an honorary police officer in the months before her death. LATEST-->

Posted by KPRC2 / Click2Houston on Tuesday, November 5, 2019

In February, Abigail was sworn in as honorary police officer No. 758 at the Freeport Police Department, which had been a dream of hers. Just a week later, she was surprised with a helicopter ride, accompanied by members of the Freeport Police Department. 

Last month, Abigail's family announced she was in hospice care. But despite her deteriorating condition, she was able to meet one of her heroes, Astros star Jose Altuve, before Game 1 of the World Series. Abigail gave Altuve a bracelet that he wore to the game later that night. 

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Abigail Arias, the child who became an officer, a change agent for good and today, an Angel," Freeport Police Chief Raymond Garivey posted to Facebook on Tuesday. "Her love, compassion, and most importantly, her magnanimous spirit, will live on for generations to come." 


It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Abigail Arias, the child who became an officer, a change agent...

Posted by Freeport Police Department - Texas on Tuesday, November 5, 2019


Garivey said he was able to spend time with Abigail on Sunday, which has helped to bring him peace.

“The last couple of days, she hurt really bad and I didn’t want to see her suffering anymore,” said the police chief. “So, I’m at peace because I know she’s at peace and that’s what she would want me to do. So Abigail, I’m at peace and I love her.”

Law enforcement officers from across Texas came together Tuesday morning to escort Abigail’s casket from Angleton to Stroud Funeral Home in Clute.

Garivey said two police officers from various law enforcement agencies will stand watch outside the funeral home until she is laid to rest. Funeral arrangements are in the process of being made.