Texans S Quintin Demps named AFC Defensive Player of the Week
HOUSTON – Houston Texans safety Quintin Demps has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month thanks to his performance in the team's final five games of the regular season.
Demps recorded 22 total tackles, 16 solo, as the Texans went 3-2.
He also was responsible for four interceptions, six passes defended and one tackle for a loss over the last month.
Demps had an interception in each of the last four games to close the season, which is a franchise record and also the longest interception streak in the NFL this season.
Demps led all NFL safeties with a career-high six interceptions this season, which tied him for the second-most in the NFL this season.
The Texans finished the season with the No. 1 overall defense for the first time in franchise history, allowing just 301.3 total net yards and 17.0 first downs per game in 2016.
Houston also gave up only 201.6 net passing yards per contest, which ranked second in the NFL.
This is the first time Demps has earned Player of the Month honors in his career, and the 14th time a Texan has been named Player of the Month in franchise history.
Demps is the second safety in team history to win the award, and the first since Marcus Coleman in September 2003.
List of Texans AFC Player of the Month Award winners:
- Quintin Demps, Defensive, Dec. 2016
- Whitney Mercilus, Defensive, Dec. 2015
- J.J. Watt, Defensive, Nov. 2015
- J.J. Watt, Defensive, Dec. 2014
- J.J. Watt, Defensive, Sept. 2014
- J.J. Watt, Defensive, Dec. 2012
- Andre Johnson, Offensive, Nov. 2012
- J.J. Watt, Defensive, Sept. 2012
- Connor Barwin, Defensive, Nov. 2011
- Arian Foster, Offensive, Oct. 2011
- Arian Foster, Offensive, Sept. 2010
- Andre Johnson, Offensive, Oct. 2008
- Marcus Coleman, Defensive, Sept. 2003
- Chad Stanley, Special Teams, Sept. 2002
Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.