HOUSTON – J- Elle is a New York Times bestselling fantasy author and a 2022 NAACP Image Award Nominee who grew up in Third Ward!
The former educator became a literary sensation after the 2021 release of her young adult novel “Wings of Ebony” set in Houston and inspired by her neighborhood.
She’s now back with a new book “A Taste of Magic,” a middle-grade fantasy about a girl who uses her baking skills to save her school.
The book is filled with humor, heart, and tasty desserts -- including one of her grandma’s cakes.
The author joined Houston Life to share the special recipe and chat about this remarkable novel.
If you’d like to see J. Elle in person, she will attend a festival in Houston, Tweens Read on October 8. At J. Frank Dobie High School in Pasadena ISD.
“A Taste of Magic” is available now everywhere books are sold.
To connect with her, click here.
To see the complete recipe, continue reading.
• 1 Cup of Butter
• 2 Cups of Sugar
• 3 Cups of Flour
• 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
• ¼ Teaspoon Salt
• 4 Eggs
• 1 Cup of Milk
• 1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Cream butter in a mixer, gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
• Add baking powder and salt to the flour.
• Add eggs one at a time to creamed mixture. Beat well after each addition.
• Add flour mixture alternately with milk and flavoring. Beat until smooth.
• Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch cake layer pans.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 25–30 mins.
• You’ll know it’s done when the cake is pulling away from the edge of the pan.
NOTE: For a vanilla cake, substitute lemon extract for vanilla extract.
Recipe provided by: J.Elle.