
Ebola outbreak in Congo raises questions ahead of Houston World Cup match; Houston Methodist doctor weighs in
Read full article: Ebola outbreak in Congo raises questions ahead of Houston World Cup match; Houston Methodist doctor weighs inAn Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is raising concerns as Houston prepares to host Congo for a World Cup match in less than a month.
WHO chief concerned over 'scale and speed' of Ebola outbreak as Congo reports 134 dead
Read full article: WHO chief concerned over 'scale and speed' of Ebola outbreak as Congo reports 134 deadThe World Health Organization director-general has expressed concern over the rapid spread of a rare type of Ebola in eastern Congo.
Congo opens more centers to treat rare type of Ebola that has killed nearly 120
Read full article: Congo opens more centers to treat rare type of Ebola that has killed nearly 120Congo will open three treatment centers for the Ebola virus in the eastern Ituri province, and the World Health Organization is sending a team of experts to the country, following an outbreak that has killed nearly 120 people.
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda
Read full article: WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo and UgandaThe World Health Organization has declared an Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern.
More than 80% of health facilities in eastern Congo are out of medicine, Red Cross says
Read full article: More than 80% of health facilities in eastern Congo are out of medicine, Red Cross saysThe International Committee of the Red Cross says over 200 health facilities in eastern Congo face medicine shortages due to fighting in the region and a lack of humanitarian funding.
A new Ebola outbreak in Congo kills dozens as health officials warn of lack of funds
Read full article: A new Ebola outbreak in Congo kills dozens as health officials warn of lack of fundsHealth authorities and organizations say they lack funds to respond to a deadly Ebola outbreak in southern Congo.
Ebola vaccine reaches the epicenter of Congo's outbreak as officials race to contain the disease
Read full article: Ebola vaccine reaches the epicenter of Congo's outbreak as officials race to contain the diseaseThe World Health Organization said limited access and scarce funds are a challenge in its response to the Ebola outbreak in southern Congo.
Ebola cases in Congo rise as authorities race to contain spread of outbreak, health agency says
Read full article: Ebola cases in Congo rise as authorities race to contain spread of outbreak, health agency saysAfrica’s top public health agency said Thursday that suspected Ebola cases in Congo’s southern Kasai province have more than doubled since last week.
Ebola cases in Uganda rise to 14 as new cluster emerges, posing a challenge to health workers
Read full article: Ebola cases in Uganda rise to 14 as new cluster emerges, posing a challenge to health workersAfrica’s top public health agency says that Uganda’s Ebola caseload increased to 14 in the last week with a new cluster emerging from a 4-year-old child who recently died of the infectious disease.
A child dies of Ebola in Uganda, raising concern over disease surveillance in outbreak
Read full article: A child dies of Ebola in Uganda, raising concern over disease surveillance in outbreakThe World Health Organization says a 4-year-old child has become the second person to die of Ebola in Uganda.
Ebola cases in Uganda rise to 9, while 265 others are being monitored under quarantine
Read full article: Ebola cases in Uganda rise to 9, while 265 others are being monitored under quarantineHealth authorities in Uganda say Ebola cases in the country have risen to nine while 265 other people are being monitored under quarantine.
Uganda begins Ebola vaccine trial after new outbreak kills a nurse and infects 2 other people
Read full article: Uganda begins Ebola vaccine trial after new outbreak kills a nurse and infects 2 other peopleUgandan authorities have begun a clinical trial of a vaccine against the Sudan strain of Ebola that has killed one person in the outbreak declared last week.
Ugandan health authorities are set to begin an Ebola vaccine trial after new outbreak kills a nurse
Read full article: Ugandan health authorities are set to begin an Ebola vaccine trial after new outbreak kills a nurseUgandan officials are preparing to deploy a trial vaccine as part of efforts to stem an outbreak of Ebola in the capital, Kampala.
Hospital nurse in Uganda dies in country's first Ebola outbreak in 2 years
Read full article: Hospital nurse in Uganda dies in country's first Ebola outbreak in 2 yearsA Ugandan health official says a nurse in the capital, Kampala, has died of Ebola, in the first recorded fatality since the country's last outbreak ended in 2023.
A decade later, Liberians remember those who died in Ebola outbreak
Read full article: A decade later, Liberians remember those who died in Ebola outbreakLiberians are gathering to mark a decade since the country was hit by a devastating Ebola outbreak that killed more than 10,000 people in West Africa, adding to the region’s economic and political troubles.
Internal documents show the World Health Organization paid sexual abuse victims in Congo $250 each
Read full article: Internal documents show the World Health Organization paid sexual abuse victims in Congo $250 eachInternal documents obtained by The Associated Press show that the World Health Organization has paid $250 each to at least 104 women in Congo who say they were sexually abused or exploited by Ebola outbreak responders.
'An absurdity': Experts slam WHO excusal of sex misconduct
Read full article: 'An absurdity': Experts slam WHO excusal of sex misconductTwo experts appointed by the World Health Organization to investigate allegations that some of its staffers sexually abused women during an Ebola outbreak in Congo have dismissed the U_N_ agency’s own efforts to excuse its handling of such misconduct as “an absurdity.”.
WHO says Equatorial Guinea confirms 1st outbreak of Marburg
Read full article: WHO says Equatorial Guinea confirms 1st outbreak of MarburgThe World Health Organization says Equatorial Guinea has confirmed its first-ever outbreak of Marburg disease, saying the Ebola-related virus is responsible for at least nine deaths in the tiny Western African country.
'Shame for WHO': Victim of sex misconduct slams UN response
Read full article: 'Shame for WHO': Victim of sex misconduct slams UN responseA woman who says she was victimized by a World Health Organization doctor during a recent Ebola outbreak in Congo says she is shocked that no senior officials were punished for the sexual abuse and exploitation claims affecting dozens of women in the conflict-ridden country.
UTMB awarded nearly $25M by US Dept. of Defense to develop vaccines in collaboration with Moderna
Read full article: UTMB awarded nearly $25M by US Dept. of Defense to develop vaccines in collaboration with ModernaThe University of Texas Medical Branch was awarded an agreement of nearly $25 million dollars from the U.S. Department of Defense to develop prototype vaccines against multiple diseases in collaboration with Moderna on Monday.
WHO: 1st Ebola vaccines to arrive in Uganda next week
Read full article: WHO: 1st Ebola vaccines to arrive in Uganda next weekThe head of the World Health Organization says he expects the first doses of Ebola vaccine targeting the strain causing the current outbreak in Uganda to arrive in the country next week.
Uganda's Ebola responders fret as some people fight measures
Read full article: Uganda's Ebola responders fret as some people fight measuresUgandan health officials say they have controlled the spread of a strain of Ebola that has no proven vaccine, But there are pockets of resistance to health measures in rural communities where illiteracy is high and restrictions on movement and business activity have left many bitter.
African health official: Ebola in Uganda is under control
Read full article: African health official: Ebola in Uganda is under controlUganda’s Ebola outbreak is under control, a top public health official in Africa said Thursday, noting that local health authorities are doing well in tracing most contacts.
Uganda reports worrisome increase in Ebola cases in capital
Read full article: Uganda reports worrisome increase in Ebola cases in capitalUgandan officials have reported 11 cases of Ebola in the capital, Kampala, since Friday, a worrisome increase in infections just over a month after an outbreak was declared in a remote part of the East African country.
'Africa on its own': Little help in epidemics, says official
Read full article: 'Africa on its own': Little help in epidemics, says officialAfrica must plan to respond effectively to disease outbreaks without outside help, a top public health official said Wednesday, warning that the continent of 1.3 billion people is “on its own” during pandemics.
CDC, WHO, Uganda to host regional meeting as Ebola spreads
Read full article: CDC, WHO, Uganda to host regional meeting as Ebola spreadsThe Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says Uganda next week will host a ministerial meeting on the outbreak of the Sudan strain of the Ebola virus which has no proven vaccine and has caused alarm in the East Africa region.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/XXDUYAHYTVGUVLTCTEJUV5WHQA.jpg)
Panel finds 80 alleged abuse cases tied to WHO's Congo work
Read full article: Panel finds 80 alleged abuse cases tied to WHO's Congo workA panel commissioned by the World Health Organization has identified more than 80 alleged cases of sex abuse implicating at least 21 WHO staffers during its response to an Ebola outbreak in Congo, making it the biggest-ever sex abuse scandal in U.N. history.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65):fill(FFF)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/2NKA37ZIHND6BH7T633VDHFOYE.jpg)
WHO chief concedes 'slow' response to Congo sex abuse claims
Read full article: WHO chief concedes 'slow' response to Congo sex abuse claimsThe head of the World Health Organization has acknowledged the U_N_ health agency’s response to sexual abuse allegations involving employees who worked in Congo during an Ebola outbreak was “slow.”.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65):fill(FFF)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/4KXSLCIS3VEUTIAAIN25TGTUSI.jpg)
Diplomats, donors concerned about sex abuse reports at WHO
Read full article: Diplomats, donors concerned about sex abuse reports at WHOBritish, European and American diplomats and donors have voiced serious concerns about how the World Health Organization handled sex abuse allegations involving its own staff during an outbreak of Ebola in Congo, as reported this week by The Associated Press.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/7GGO3M5XJZHG7GMENJFLI3N7RA.jpg)
Man's Ebola relapse spawned dozens of new cases in Africa
Read full article: Man's Ebola relapse spawned dozens of new cases in Africa(AP Photo/Jerome Delay, File)A man in Africa who developed Ebola despite receiving a vaccine recovered but suffered a relapse nearly six months later that led to 91 new cases before he died. This is the first one clearly shown to have spawned a large cluster of new cases. In June 2019, he developed symptoms and was diagnosed with the disease. In late November, he again developed symptoms and sought care at a health center and from a traditional healer. Giving them to Ebola patients is thought to boost the immune system, and studies suggest they improve survival.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/GSI7KEVQLRBVHFLNFBG3O2CA6U.jpg)
UN says Ebola in Guinea may be linked to 2014 outbreak
Read full article: UN says Ebola in Guinea may be linked to 2014 outbreakA top official at the World Health Organization has said on Friday, March 12, 2021 that a genetic analysis of the ongoing Ebola outbreak in Guinea suggests it may have been sparked by a survivor of the devastating West Africa epidemic that ended five years ago. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay, file)GENEVA – A top official at the World Health Organization said that a genetic analysis of the ongoing Ebola outbreak in Guinea suggests it may have been sparked by a survivor of the devastating West Africa epidemic that ended five years ago. But he added that based on the available genetic sequencing data, the current outbreak was unlikely to be linked to an animal — which is how nearly all previous Ebola epidemics have begun. The rare possibility of Ebola spreading long after infection highlights the importance of monitoring survivors, and Ryan cautioned against their stigmatization. The Ebola outbreak that swept across West Africa from 2014 to 2016 ultimately killed more than 11,000 people.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/SOBJPPPH3FAD7FAIT4N7YYAEJU.jpg)
WHO says more than 11,000 Ebola vaccines will go to Guinea
Read full article: WHO says more than 11,000 Ebola vaccines will go to GuineaWHO regional director for Africa Dr. Matshidiso Moeti said Thursday that 11,000 Ebola vaccines are being prepared in Geneva and are expected to arrive in Guinea over the weekend. The WHO has called on six African countries to be on high alert for Ebola infections after both Guinea and Congo recorded cases in recent weeks. As of Thursday, Guinea has recorded three confirmed Ebola cases, including one death, according to WHO. Health officials hope to stem the spread of Ebola in West Africa, which experienced the deadliest Ebola outbreak in history from 2014 to 2016 that killed more than 11,300 people, mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Tests have since shown he was negative for Ebola, according to Ministry of Health and Sanitation spokesman Harold Thomas.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/I72K2OS7MNBOPKW46CXXNONFQA.jpg)
Congo officials confirm 2nd death from Ebola in the east
Read full article: Congo officials confirm 2nd death from Ebola in the eastA trader sells plastic shoes on a street in Butembo, where the first case of Ebola died, in the North Kivu province of Congo Thursday, Feb. 11, 2021. A second case and death of Ebola has been recorded in Congo's North Kivu province after a 60-year-old woman died Wednesday, according to officials. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro)BENI – A second case and death of Ebola has been recorded in Congo’s North Kivu province, according to officials. Health officials had confirmed a case of Ebola on Sunday in another woman who was from the village of Biena and died in Butembo. The governor’s delegate in the Biena health zone, Longs Mabanga Julio, said that the two cases have created panic and frustration among the inhabitants.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/MQJFIGDQ7BBH5JJPZDZ62U76OE.jpg)
Ebola vaccines stockpiled against future outbreaks
Read full article: Ebola vaccines stockpiled against future outbreaksThe World Health Organization and other partners said Tuesday Jan. 12, 2021, they are creating a global emergency stockpile of about 500,000 vaccines of Ebola vaccine to help stamp out any future outbreaks of the disease. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay, File)GENEVA – The World Health Organization and partners said Tuesday they are creating a global stockpile of Ebola vaccines to help stamp out future outbreaks. Financial support for the vaccine stockpile was provided by the vaccines alliance GAVI. The Ebola vaccine being stockpiled is made by Merck. The Ebola vaccines will be stored in Switzerland, where they will be ready to be shipped after WHO and partners receive a request from countries.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/FRSDDLFNVJFB7DQMEODXDTIUOY.jpg)
WHO to sift Chinese samples, data in hunt for virus origins
Read full article: WHO to sift Chinese samples, data in hunt for virus originsMost researchers think that the virus, also known as SARS-CoV-2, originated in animals in China, probably bats, and the WHO has put together a 10-person team to examine the science. They will likely start in Wuhan, where the outbreak was first reported, though a precise itinerary hasn't yet been set. Leendertz said scientists would be looking to see whether stored medical samples from before the first known case provide evidence that the virus was circulating earlier than previously thought. Leendertz expressed confidence in China's “excellent researchers” and said data collected by the country's extensive disease surveillance system would likely prove valuable. “How the virus jumped from which animal to perhaps an intermediate host and then to humans.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/YUOIOJKKFRFEVN32QNWIJSVLPU.jpg)
US regulators approve 1st treatment for Ebola virus
Read full article: US regulators approve 1st treatment for Ebola virusOn Wednesday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said it has approved the drug for treating Ebola in both adults and children. (Regeneron via AP)U.S. regulators Wednesday approved the first drug for the treatment of Ebola. The Food and Drug Administration OK'd the drug developed by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals for treating adults and children with the Zaire Ebola virus strain, the most deadly of six known types. Regeneron's treatment is a combination of three antibodies that work by killing the virus. After four weeks, about a third of those who got Regeneron's drug had died.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/d1vhqlrjc8h82r.cloudfront.net/03-17-2020/t_3b58643c7d3f46eb944c9fdd50d50e8b_name_10P_P_CV_HOSPITAL_PREPS_KPRC85R3_00_01_42_16.jpg)
Look inside the Katy infectious disease unit where local coronavirus patients will be treated
Read full article: Look inside the Katy infectious disease unit where local coronavirus patients will be treatedBut now, the Highly Infectious Disease Unit at Houston Methodist Continuing Care Hospital in Katy will be used to treat coronavirus patients. Inside this state-of-the-art, isolation unit, huge air pumping machines are used to constantly pump virus-contaminated-air out of each room and away from the hospital and other patients and staff. How many coronavirus patients are they treating right now? In all, Houston Methodist says it is currently treating 16 coronavirus patients — 12 presumptive positive patients and four confirmed coronavirus patients. Houston Methodist is also working in partnership with city and county officials to open three different mobile-testing centers for coronavirus patients.
:strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/HTNJ3MMQV5E4VIK43O4DWLMDSY.jpg)