Skip to main content

Neighbors frustrated over abandoned Montrose property after years of complaints

City of Houston pursuing action against problem property in Montrose after KPRC 2 News reached out on behalf of residents.

Neighbors say they've complained about the Montrose property at Waugh and Drew for years. (Copyright 2026 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.)

HOUSTON – People living near the corner of Waugh Drive and Drew Street in Houston’s Montrose area say an abandoned property has become a growing safety hazard after years of complaints, repeated 311 reports, and little visible action.

Neighbors describe the property as overgrown, unsafe, and filled with debris, conditions they say have attracted rats and illegal dumping while creating constant concerns for families living nearby.

According to previous 311 inspection notes, city investigators documented multiple issues at the site, including:

“Property remains with high weed and grass over 9 inches. Trash rubbish and debris throughout the property. Structure has severe damage to roof with parts not properly attached and hanging down.”

“You kind of just never know like when when’s the next rat going to come over,” said Vijay Kalvakuntla who lives directly next to the property.

A City of Houston spokesperson confirmed that Houston Public Works currently has an active investigation open at the location.

“The noted violations relate to high weeds, open storage, and dangerous building conditions,” the spokesperson said in a statement. “Staff has provided notice to the property owner, indicating the identified violations.”

The city later added that the case had been approved for legal review and would next be scheduled for an administrative hearing that could lead to demolition or repair orders.

For nearby homeowners, the updates are welcome but long overdue.

“Dangerous, risky, gross, disgusting,” Kalvakuntla said while describing the property next door.

The City of Houston is preparing to schedule a hearing with the property owner to figure out next steps. (Copyright 2026 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.)

He said he recently moved into their Waugh Drive home after being told the neighboring property was expected to be redeveloped soon.

“We were told that it was actively being marketed for a new commercial development and this would all be cleaned up,” Kalvakuntla said.

Instead, they say conditions have only worsened.

“Really what we’ve seen is that they’re just delaying,” Kalvakuntla said. “I don’t think they have any intention to actually do anything.”

Neighbors say the abandoned structure has become more than just an eyesore.

Residents also say the lot has become a dumping ground.

“Other people are using it just as a dumping ground for other trash,” homeowner Rhuju Vasavada said.

Vasavada said they first reported the property to 311 on Sept. 19, 2025. According to records they shared, an investigator visited the next day and confirmed the reported violations.

But despite a scheduled follow-up date of Dec. 7, 2025, Vasavada says little happened afterward.

“That date passed,” Vasavada said.

The ongoing conditions have limited how often some neighbors feel comfortable using their own yards, especially families with small children.

Residents say they are encouraged the city’s legal department is now involved, but many remain skeptical after years of complaints.

Kalvakuntla believes stronger enforcement may be necessary to finally force action from the property owner.

“I think there has to be some sort of financial push for the owner of this land to really get on their feet and do something,” he said.

Houston officials encourage residents dealing with abandoned or dangerous properties to report issues through the city’s 311 app so complaints and updates can be tracked.