Kingwood woman dies from flesh-eating bacteria after cutting elbow in flooded home, officials say

By Brittany Taylor - Digital News Editor
Headline Goes Here

KINGWOOD, Texas - A Kingwood woman died last Friday from a flesh-eating bacteria after she fell and cut her left elbow in her flooded garage, officials said.

Nancy Reed, 77, lived in the 3200 block of Sunny Knoll Court when she contracted necrotizing fasciitis, a serious bacterial skin infection, during the catastrophic flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey, officials said.

According to the Center for Disease Control, the bacteria that Reed was diagnosed with spreads quickly and destroys the body’s soft tissue.

Reed was taken to a hospital, where she later died. She leaves behind a son.

“Nancy was a kind, caring member of the Kingwood community and gave of her time and many talents generously,” Reed’s obituary read.

Download the Click2Houston news app in your app store to stay up-to-date with the latest news while you're on the go.

Sign up for KPRC 2 newsletters to get breaking news, sports, entertainment, contests and more delivered straight to your email inbox.

Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.