Homicide suspect accused of shooting boy while out on bond identified

Acevedo blames shooting on judges who set low bonds

HOUSTON – An 11-year-old boy was hit by a bullet Wednesday that was fired by a homicide suspect who was out of jail on bond, according to Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo.

The shooting was reported about 12:45 p.m. at the Wesley Square Apartments located at 7402 Calhoun Road in southern Houston.

Acevedo said Ketrell Beasley, 18, was handling an assault rifle in the apartment below the victim’s apartment when the gun fired. The bullet went into the boy’s second-story apartment, through a wall and a couch and grazed the child, Acevedo said.

Ketrell Beasley is seen in a mug shot that was released by the Houston Police Department on April 23, 2018.

“But for the grace of God, we don’t have a dead little boy,” Acevedo said.

The chief said Beasley was out of jail on a low bond in connection with a murder charge that was filed against him on April 23, 2018. According to a press release from Houston police about that homicide, Beasley is one of two suspects in the Feb. 25, 2018, slaying of 20-year-old Cornelius Jackson near MacGregor Park.

“This suspect was actually out on bond, a $50,000 bond issued by a judge, which means he had to come up with $5,000 bail to get out,” Acevedo said.

Court records showed Beasley was also charged with evading arrest and unlawful carrying of a weapon on April 20, 2018.

VIDEO: Acevedo talks about shooting that injured boy

Acevedo laid the blame for Wednesday’s shooting at the feet of judges, saying more needs to be done to take a defendant's history of violence into account when determining their bond conditions.

“There’s something awry here,” Acevedo said.

The chief also said more resources need to be dedicated to the Harris County District Attorney’s Office so that cases can be processed through the courts faster.

Acevedo said charges have been filed against Beasley in connection with Wednesday’s shooting and officers are working to take him into custody.

The boy was taken to a hospital for treatment.