1 dies, 2 survive West Bay helicopter crash

GALVESTON, Texas – A family is grieving after a deadly helicopter crash in West Galveston Bay Monday night.

The chopper, which was used to shuttle workers to and from ships offshore, was carrying three people.

One passenger was killed, while the pilot and another passenger survived.

The Galveston County Medical Examiner’s Office said 58-year-old Warren Moore died of his injuries.

He was an employee of SGS, an oil and gas company.

"We're just trying to deal with this as best as we can. ... (It was) sudden and it was totally unexpected, totally unexpected,” explained Moore's brother, Walter, who also works in the same industry in the Caribbean. “He loved going offshore for the inspections and crude oil ships, loved, I mean just loved going offshore and loved fishing and everything else.”

Moore’s family said he worked at SGS for 30 years as an inspector.

Moore’s son, who is also named Warren, is in the Army along with his brother, who is in the Navy.

They said their dad had eight brothers and sisters, a grandfather of four and was very popular among his co-workers.

An SGS spokesperson said Simeon Anugwom, who survived the crash, also works for the company.

The U.S. Coast Guard said Anugwom and the pilot were rescued by a Good Samaritan, taken to a nearby marina and later to the hospital.

Republic Helicopters, Inc which owns the chopper said the two survivors are still hospitalized.

"We here at Republic Helicopters, inc. continue to be deeply saddened by the recent event and are striving to provide timely and relevant information as it becomes available to us. As of this morning, the injured pilot and passenger remain hospitalized and are receiving medical treatment. They are surrounded by family and friends and are under the best of care."

On Tuesday, the company said crews are in the process of recovering the submerged aircraft, securing it and transporting it to a facility for further investigation and analysis.

“The two survivors are receiving medical treatment at the local UTMB Medical Treatment Facility and the outlook remains positive. We would like to thank all those who have kept us in their thoughts and prayers. We would also like to extend our appreciation and gratitude to our friends, the local community and the various authorities and organizations that have assisted our efforts during this very difficult time,” Republic Helicopters said in a statement.

The company said it’s currently working with the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration investigators.

Authorities do not know what caused the helicopter to crash or if fog was a factor.

Moore’s son’s and family members are flying into Houston to take care of funeral arrangements.

The family has set up a GoFundMe account to help with costs.