HOUSTON – A homeowner said it was a lighting strike that set his Copperfield house on fire Monday.
"One in a million, one in five million. I hit the anti-lottery here,” said homeowner Kevin Masterson. "You could tell it was bad very quickly and we had to get out."
The fire broke out around 6 a.m. at the home in the 17500 block of Masonridge Drive.
Masterson said he was asleep when he heard glass breaking and his home alarm go off. He reset the alarm thinking it was just the rain that triggered the alarm, he said.
Moments later neighbors banged on his door and told him his house was on fire.
"A neighbor banged on my door about a minute or two later and said, 'You need to get out. Your house is on fire.' In total disbelief, I went outside and the house was on fire,” Masterson said.
Masterson was able to get out of the home safely with his cat and dogs.
His wife had already left for work before the fire broke out, Masterson said.
The fire severely damaged the house. Masterson's family tried to save whatever they could.
No injuries were reported.
Posted by KPRC2 Cathy Hernandez on Monday, January 2, 2017