Worker rescued after passing out inside LED billboard sign at car dealer

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas – Emergency crews successfully rescued a man from an LED sign at a car dealership in Harris County just south of Tomball on Tuesday.

Rescue crews were called for a report of an accidental injury at the at the Chevrolet dealership on FM 249 and Grand Parkway.

Rescue arrived and found the man passed out. Officials believe the man may have lost consciousness from heat exhaustion when he became trapped inside the sign 70 feet in the air. 

Klein Fire Department and Cypress Creek EMS responded to the call, and then Spring Fire Department was called in to use their tower truck. The Woodlands Fire Department’s rescue team was asked join in case they were needed, but they weren't.

Two CCEMS medics and two Klein firefighters climbed the internal ladder to get to the man. The crews cut a hole in the sign and set the ladder up for the man to be lowered down, secured by a harness.

"Straight vertical climb about 50 feet..in a space that’s about 12 inches by 18 inches.  It’s very tight. He couldn’t physically make it down. We had to cut a hole down through the sheet metal in front of the structure … we assisted him out through that hole," Shane Dawson, with the Klein Fire Department, said.

He was conscious and loaded into an ambulance.

There is no word on his condition.