Houston suburb has an alter-ego. Have you heard about, ‘Katy-zuela’!?
KATY – Did you know, Katy has the largest concentration of Venezuelan food in Houston? This is because many Venezuelans have moved here, following each other, motivated by the good schools and churches.
“I believe there is something like 40,000 Venezuelans in Houston, and probably 35,000 live in Katy,” said food importer Manuel Guzman-Lopez.
Escaping turmoil in their home country and forced to leave so much behind, our Venezuelan neighbors here in Houston have held on tight to the traditions, flavors, and family recipes that make up a thriving Venezuelan food scene in Katy.
Guided by food writer, Mai Pham, and Manuel Guzman-Lopez, Houston Life’s Melanie Camp explored Katy uncovering great spots for Venezuelan street food.
Where to go, what to order...watch the video above.
HERE’S THE LIST OF WHERE MEL WENT...
- ACÁ Foods 1803 N Fry Rd, Katy, TX 77449
- Pastel Pizza 351 S Mason Rd, Katy, TX 77450
- El Kourmet 3939 N Fry Rd C, Katy, TX 77449
- Nuestra Casa Bakery 1830 S Mason Rd Suite 160, Katy, TX 77450
- Los Andes Foods 19308 Morton Rd UNIT 101A-B, Katy, TX 77449