HOUSTON – If better skin is your goal for 2021, dermatologist Dr. Sherry Ingraham shares the top skincare myths you should avoid.
MYTH#1: YOU DON’T HAVE TO USE SUNSCREEN IN THE WINTER
This is not true, sunscreen in the winter is a MUST!
- The newest, hottest products do triple duty. They are moisturizing, contain physical sunscreens (like zinc and antioxidants) to protect the skin from sun damage and tint (iron oxide) to block blue light.
- A new line from ISDIN even contains “DNA Repairsomes,” that can repair and prevent sun damage while you just wear it!! Plus, there is a tinted option available.
PRODUCTS: ISDIN ERYFOTONA ACTINICA, AGELESS AND ELTA MD
MYTH#2: IT’S NOT POSSIBLE TO WASH YOUR FACE TOO OFTEN
It is possible, and the tight feeling after washing is not good for your skin!
- To avoid “AWT,” or after washing tightness, wash your face only once daily, and in the evening when possible.
- Try and reach for cream cleansers that don’t strip the skin of its lipid barrier.
- Look for creamy, gentle products like CeraVe facial cleanser (now even in a foaming version)
- In the morning to feel clean and fresh without stripping the skin, wipe with a micellar water.
PRODUCTS: CERAVE FACIAL CLEANSER OR MICELLAR WATER
MYTH#3: ACNE IS CAUSED BY DIRT OR A DIRTY FACE
NO!! Dirt causes clogged pores, but there are many other factors that cause acne!
- Washing more is not necessarily better, and can irritate dry winter skin.
- Acne can result from a combination of factors, like diet, stress and hormones.
- Consider bacteria and mechanical factors like facial masks!
PRODUCTS: LA ROCHE-POSEY EFFACLAR DUO WITH BENZOYL PEROXIDE (OTC), PETER THOMAS ROTH MOOR MUD (FOR DECONGESTING OTC) AND PRESCRIPTION EPIDUO FORTE PUMP OR GEL
For more information and to connect with Dr. Ingraham, click here.