HOUSTON – If you’re headed out this weekend, construction could impact your drive. Here is a list we’ve compiled with the information we have so far from the Texas Department of Transportation, just in case.
Houston TranStar has a full list of active closures, as they finalize the projects that will continue this weekend. For a full updated list, click here.
KPRC 2 Meteorologist Caroline Brown has assembled this list of work-zone hot spots that are confirmed as of Friday morning. Traffic expert Anavid Reyes will be back next week!
- As part of the I-610 West Loop/ I-69 Southwest Freeway interchange project, the Texas Department of Transportation will close all northbound and southbound main lanes of I-69 Southwest Freeway at I-610 West Loop Friday, September 23 at 8 p.m. until Monday, September 26 at 5 a.m.
- Crews will continue demolition of the old I-610 southbound main lane bridge, which spans over the I-69 Southwest Freeway main lanes. The same closure will also take place the following weekend starting on Friday, September 30 at 8 p.m. until Monday, October 3 at 5 a.m.
- To facilitate this work, there will be a number of additional ramp closures that will take place.
- Gulf Freeway northbound FM 517 entrance ramp in League City will close all weekend starting Friday night from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. Monday. Drivers can use the FM 646 entrance ramp instead, to get back on the northbound main lanes.
- The eastbound and westbound main lanes from Barker Cypress Road to Mueschke in Cypress, drivers will see one inside lane continuously from 4 a.m., Saturday, September 24 to 11 p.m., Sunday, September 25.
Weekend event closures:
Galveston Island Shrimp Festival
If you’re headed out to Galveston Island this weekend, make sure you are aware and plan for street closures due to the Galveston Island Shrimp Festival.
- The annual Galveston Island Shrimp Festival will be held in historic downtown Galveston September 23-24. The event is an island favorite and features two full days of shrimp, music and fun. Some of the event activities include a shrimp gumbo cook-out, gumbo tasting, outdoor music shows and the Shrimp Festival 5K.
- Please anticipate the following road closures from 6:00 a.m., Friday, Sept. 23 to 9:00 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 24:
- Strand from 22nd to 24th streets
- 23rd Street from Harborside Drive to Mechanic Street
- Starting Friday, April 29 at 9 p.m., crews will close the I-69 Southwest Freeway southbound connector ramp to I-610 West Loop southbound for two years.
- The Chimney Rock exit from the Southwest Freeway southbound main lanes for the next two months.
- DETOUR: Traffic will take the Fountain View exit ramp, U-turn at Fountain View onto IH 69 northbound feeder, to reach Chimney Rock Road
- The southbound I-45 North Freeway service road, south of Cypresswood Drive is closed due to the Cypress Creek Bridge being reconstructed by TxDOT. If you need to get a location south of the area towards FM-1960, you need to get on the main lanes of I-45 and exit at Richey Road.
- Northbound and southbound lanes on the Gulf Freeway from FM-518 to FM-517 in League City will have one lane closed in each direction happening daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. through Friday, September 30.
75th Street Bridge over Brays Bayou
- Crews will shut down the 75th Street bridge over Brays Bayou for bridge repairs. This closure is now active and will be in place for a year. An alternate route in the area to consider is Harrisburg to Wayside.